Monday, December 26, 2016

The Song vs. The Look

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and/or Hannukah. The guys and I spent it with my parents, which was a lot of fun. I didn't get as many pictures as I would've liked because everyone was busy moving around, stuffing their face, or whatnot. Half of what I took turned out blurry. (I was using my phone, bad on me.) However, I did get one that was kinda funny. Mom giving Dad "the look". 

There is this one Christmas song Dad sings every year, but we don't know where the heck the song came from or who originally recorded it. He deliberately sings it like he's had far too much to drink. Which I admit is freaking hilarious. My parents don't drink at all, so this makes mom more than a little annoyed when he starts in with "the song". 

She used to call him out when he would start up with this mess. You know, like mom's do - Sarah Jane! David Lee! You get the idea. It's your first and middle name said in a sharp warning. Dad would crack up laughing at this, and give it a rest...for a little while. Randomly, a short time later, just long enough for Mom to have gotten past the first offense, he'd start in with the song again. 

After forty years of this, Mom has given up calling him out. Instead, she has developed "the look". It's reserved specifically for whenever he sings that song. 

When Mom is kind and patient,
but also sick of  your crap.
Dad: Mischief managed. 
Image Left: Initially, she was looking directly at me and smiling for the picture, but then Dad started singing "the song". 

Photo opportunity: priceless.  

I remember my parents playing that song on the living room stereo when I was a kid. They had (still have) a huge collection of vinyl records, many of them Christmas related. Vintage Firestone albums, compilations, and such. 

Anyway, searches for the lyrics of this particular song online exist, but these lyrics sites all beg and borrow from each other, so there is no telling who originally posted the song. On every site the band is listed as One Hundred and 21, or The One Hundred and 21. However, I can't find any evidence that was the actual name of a band. Zero returns on search results for bands by that name. I have a hypothesis, though. It could be One Hundred and 21 is part of the name of a Christmas compilation album, like, "One Hundred and 21 Sounds of the Season"... or something like that. 

If you're reading this and happen know who the band is, or what album this song comes off of, leave a comment. For anyone not interested in clicking on the link above, the song goes... 'It's Christmas Time, and I'm all alone. I put up my tree beside the window. In hopes you'll see how much you mean to me. But I live far out in the country, down seldom used roads, far away from you." For years, I thought The Lettermen or The Beach Boys sang this song, but I can't find it on any of their albums! 

In recap, 2016 was a difficult year, but I'm happy to report Christmas was wonderful. After dad's scary battle with cancer and equally scary doctor visits and follow ups, he's hanging in there, happy and healthy and still mischievous enough to tease my mom. We're super blessed have him with us. I can't begin to express how grateful I am to still have my parents. While I recognize this everyday, it makes every holiday we have together that much sweeter. 

Now onward we go. 2017's on the horizon, and I'm crossing my fingers the New Year will be a welcome relief from the hardships of 2016, and a fresh start filled with bright prospects for everyone. ✌💗💋   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^