Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Going Postal: USPS Service Louisiana Style

For years, I've been telling my friends who sometimes send me little trinkets in the mail to wrap the boxes very, very well. Our paper mail and packages both have a habit of arriving opened. Anything that sounds shakeable or looks like a mailed check is particularly vulnerable. This time, the package contained my new, refurbed Macbook that I ordered last week. In the past, I've posted pictures of packages that have arrived to me opened, but this one takes the cake. Look at the condition this box was in upon arrival. The driver dropped it off at my door and was gone in a flash. I didn't even have time to put on my flip flops, before he was gone. I honestly can't say I'm surprised.
To me, this is completely unacceptable condition. I've filed a formal complaint with USPS and listed my local post office as the culprit, and I've offered pictures as well as my tracking number as evidence. I even did a screen grab of the tracking info. The computer shipped from Florida, and was listed as in transit, no descriptions...until it arrived at our local post office. There, it was initially listed as "arrived at unit" with no description. Seven minutes later it's listed as "arrived at unit VISIBLY DAMAGED". Those are the exact words. Another six minutes later, it was re-listed yet again as "arrived at unit." No damage listed. Suspicious, no? I screen grabbed all that info and am saving it as evidence. I will absolutely 100% agree to be interviewed and give over any pertinent info when USPS gets back in touch with me.

The power cord shown in the picture was unwrapped and practically falling out of the box. The wad of bubble wrap it had been contained in was floating loose inside the box. Draw your own conclusions regarding that one. To say I'm pissed off about that is a gross understatment.  


At any rate, the computer seems to be in good working order. Thankfully it got here before the heavy rains started this afternoon. I immediately took it out of the box, or rather, the box fell apart at the side seam when I took the tape off it...because it was wet. Even the inside of the box was damp. I was extremely worried about the condition computer at that point, but when I took it out of the box, it was wrapped in a huge wad of large-sized bubble wrap. The unit didn't feel damp, and thankfully there was no breaking or chipping of the casing, or damage to the screen. It fired right up when I plugged it in and turned it on, and I had no trouble connecting to the net, etc. etc. So far, so good. Even so, I'm going to use it for a few days to make sure nothing goes wrong with it before I say for sure I'm keeping it. The sellers have an unconditional return policy, and while I really hope I don't have to return it, that's at least some insurance in case the comp appears to have problems. That's all I need is to be stuck with an expensive disaster. •

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^