Saturday, August 13, 2016

Cora's Summer (and Writing) Adventures

Used courtesy of inky2010 and openclipart.org
I'm not ready for the summer to be over. I've had such a good writing stretch these past couple of months, which has been a nice change of pace for me. I'm now working my way through revisions. That in and of itself is a reason to celebrate. More about that in a minute.

Mini heads back to school on the 25th, which is just a few days before my birthday, then Oldest's birthday is the day after mine. We're planning a joint birthday gathering at my mom and dad's house to celebrate, and in the meantime, I'm waiting for my new/refurbed laptop to arrive. It's kinda sorta a birthday gift to myself, but not really. I bought it strictly for bookish purposes. It's a Macbook, and I need it to run a specific program I've been wanting, which isn't available for Windows PC. I'm eager to test drive the new laptop, and that new program.

So about writing and celebrations, I'm currently revising a new Werekind story, and getting it ready to release on Smashwords. It won't be much longer now. I'm aiming for a birthday release date, but at the latest it will be in early September. I finished Gemma's story first, so that's the first one I'll be releasing. After that one's up, I'll be focusing on completing Seth's story and getting that one out.

Seth's story has been an absolute bear to write. Never in my life have I had such trouble writing about someone. I've been through three different draft versions of it so far, and only recently have I managed to finesse that his character, and that storyline, into something I feel suits the characters and the existing story. I'm happy with the direction it's taken, and just as a teaser, Laney and Cole make a cameo appearance in the new version. I'm ready to get the story written and let it go! My plan is to have all the remaining "loose ends" Werekind books released by spring of 2017.

At any rate, in the here and now, Gemma's story is nearing the finish line. I also recently completed the final two fairy stories for the Twilight's Edge Collection, but I've put that project on the backburner until November while I focus on wrapping up the werewolves. I drafted another story in July as part of Camp NaNoWriMo, but I don't plan to do anything else with that one for the time being. Again, I need to see to the wolves - both their frontlist and backlist stories.

So there you have it, my summer in writing. Of course, writing isn't all that has happened over this summer....

A couple of weeks ago, I ended up in ER with a sprained foot. While I was cooking one evening, JakeDog pounced the top of my foot by accident (he was trying to beat SassiePup to a treat), and the pain was so bad I ended up having to go to the hospital. A round of xrays and a few bandages later, I was sent home. However, I couldn't walk on that foot for a week due to the pain.

Then, about a week after I was able to ditch the crutches, our air conditioner blew up. Literally. We had no idea that was even possible, but alas... We've had some seizing up issues with the AC in recent years, but it seemed to be working fine. Then one evening while hubby and I were outside picking figs - kaboom! This cloud of black smoke shot out of the AC. We were in the front yard; the AC is around back. We could see the cloud of black smoke shoot out over the backyard. Scared us to bits. Minibeast screamed. We're lucky no one was hurt!

So there you have it, a few Cora Adventures in parting. With hubby's work schedule, we didn't get to do a lot of the typical summery things: the beach, vacation, travel, etc., but I have no regrets on that score. Overall, it's been a peaceful, and incredibly productive summer.

That's all for now. I'll post again when something new comes up...and when the new book releases. Until next time, happy wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^