Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Computer Blues: Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Mercury retrograde, why must you test me?  Well, technically we're only in the shadow of the retrograde, but already I'm feeling it. I'm going through fits with my computers (both of them) right now.

I bought my red HP laptop in 2015. It came with Windows 8.1, but right after I bought it, it forced me to upgrade to Windows 10. The day I upgraded to Windows 10, it wiped out my onboard webcam. I noticed but didn't worry about it too much because I'd been using my old usb webcam, which is plug and play and simple to use.

Anyway, last week, I missed the memo where the Windows 10 Anniversary update was pending. Over the weekend, I went to shut down my comp and I got a message that said it was installing updates. That's a normal thing, so I left it updating and went on to bed. It took three days to complete the installation. Part of that was to do with the lousy Louisiana weather, part was to do with the lousy net connection, another part was the download itself. Right after it had finished downloading, I kept going to the HP Support Assistant on my computer to find out if the update was necessary or if I could scrap it, but it wouldn't show me what had downloaded, much less allow me to do anything with it. It simply installed.

Now whenever I shut down my comp and bring it back up again, I get a black screen. I have to hit the power button to turn it off. If I turn it back on again quickly, it'll bring up the lock screen. I did a google search on this and it's an ongoing issue that began when the first Windows 10 upgrade was released. Seriously, Microsoft, get your act together!

I've been moving the werekind book I'm working on back and forth through my cloud storage, working on the red computer when its running right, then funneling it through the cloud to my macbook. Macbook has this weird Word glitch where the scrollbars don't show up on the documents, which is a major headache. Next pay period, I'm going to download Scrivener for Mac to see if that will make writing on the Macbook easier.

But that's not the only issue I'm currently facing. I checked my red Windows computer and it shows I have all the latest device drivers, so there's nothing more I can do at this point until Microsoft releases a patch or more updates. So, I don't have an onboard camera (for over a year now) and now I'm getting the black screen...which also doesn't have an update or patch to fix. I don't want to keep abusing the power button to boot up, though, because I'm hearing that people are ending up with fried motherboards.

A few cold links to what I'm talking about:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2901839/windows-broke-motherboard.html
http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/35636-windows-10-killed-my-dell-xps-2710-a.html
http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/9290-pc-stuck-black-screen-after-reset.html
http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/10457-fix-windows-10-booting-black-screen-14.html

And for the Mac scrollbars issue:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310095

I tried turning off the fast startup, but that didn't fix the problem for me. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to take my red laptop to Dr. Bulldog, our repair guy.

Hubby keeps talking about how he needs a new laptop. I tell you, that's a horrible, terrible, bad bad bad idea right now. This Windows 10 issue has been a disaster, and that's not even going into the mess I went through to disable the new Microsoft owned preview version of Skype that was determined to force itself on me. I don't want Hubz buying a new Windows based laptop when Win 10 is killing off motherboards with this shoddy OS. Somehow I'm going to have to convince him to wait until this mess with Windows 10 gets ironed out...or convince him to get a Macbook. Seriously, all these tech issues are enough to give anyone the computer blues. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^