Sunday, May 08, 2016

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. I'm going to visit my parents in the morning to check in on them and give my Mom a big hug. I didn't have the cash for fancy gifts this year, which kind of sucks, but I was able to buy cards...yes, cards, plural. Dad is a Mother's Day baby; he was born on the 10th, so each year we celebrate his birthday in tandem with Mother's Day.

I feel a little empty handed because I didn't bake them a cake this year, but Dad's diet has changed so drastically since he lost his kidney I've been afraid to attempt it. A friend of the family brought him animal crackers while he was in the hospital (there's significance behind that, but it's a very long story), and anyway, dad ate the animal crackers and it shot his blood sugar through the roof. The nurse had to come in and give him emergency insulin. Mercy.

I don't want to inadvertently take something over there food wise that might hurt him, so I've left the edible treats up to Mom. I think she planned to bake him a diabetic safe coconut pie, so that will be the birthday trimmings. Whatever works. For Mother's Day, just a long visit with my Mommy, and some pictures. I know all the above doesn't sound very exciting, I'm just glad I still have both my mom and my dad to spend the day with. That in itself is worth celebrating.

In writerly news, I'm finally closing in on the end of a short story. I'm actually very eager to finish this thing, and I'm trying not to rush it. I've gotten the bulk of it down on paper, and now I'm going back and filling it in. So far, so good. Hopefully it won't take me much longer to wrap it up, but at the same time I don't want to zoom through it and make a lot of mistakes, either. At any rate, once it's finished, I can move on to the next story in the cue.

One more thing before I go, I picked up a couple of writing guides recently that really resonated with me. I found them over at OpenLibrary.org and bought print copies to keep in my home office. Combined, they've managed to pry me out of non-writing shell and get me back to work again. In next post I'll write a little bit about them. If there's any chance they might help someone else, I'd love to pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.