Saturday, October 10, 2015

Nothing to Fear but Procrastination

A couple of days ago, I blogged about the book Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. Well, this afternoon I was doing a search for book quotes I could share on my blog, when I came across a set of podcasts related to Big Magic. How cool is that?

You can listen to the podcasts for free here: http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/magic-lessons/  The link goes to the author's official website. On her page, there are links to the podcasts on iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher Radio. Again, the podcasts are totally free.

Today, the quote "All procrastination is fear" resonates with me. I stayed up until about 5 in the morning working on my novel. I slept for a few hours, then woke up again around 9. I've had plenty to time to open my wip and get cracking, but I'm at the point where I'm having to cut and rearrange parts of the manuscript, which always makes me super nervous. Even though I have a backup, I still feel like I'm going to screw things up beyond repair. Revisions do this to me. They always have. So, instead of diving in head first, I've been procrastinating most of the day, checking my Facebook, watching YouTube videos. and all that jazz to avoid go back to my book.

It's now 4pm, the house is quiet, hubby grilled so there's no dinner to cook, I'm fresh out of excuses. It's time to stop tap dancing around the problem and get back to work. Still I'm hesitating. Why? Because I'm afraid I'll make the wrong snip here or there. I'll mess it up. I'll have to backtrack, or worse; I'll have to start over. Sigh.

I've gotta stop doing this to myself. Elizabeth Gilbert is right: all procrastination is fear, and I desperately need to break the habit. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^