Saturday, September 05, 2015

What's On My Kindle Right Now : Story Trumps Structure and More

It's a hot, humid, rainy Saturday evening, and I'm not feeling 100% tip top. I visited my parents this morning (great visit), took care of errands, paid bills, and now I'm free to lounge and loaf for the rest of the four day weekend What better time to curl up with my Kindle Fire?

Yesterday I picked up a couple of books and a new app to keep myself busy, and since I have no new-news on my recently completed draft, I thought I'd share what's on my Kindle right now.

Story Trumps Structure by Steven James (with a foreword by Donald Maass) - I'm currently reading this, and so far I'm quite impressed. I'm on chapter two or three, and I've already taken a heap of notes. So far the book talks about what story is, what it isn't, and how to keep a reader's interest. I'll be reviewing this book in depth on Goodreads when I've finished it.


I also picked up a copy of Slenderman by Willow Rose. How about that fun, spooky cover?  Mini Beast initially introduced me to the Slenderman mythos, and I only recently began venturing outside the Creepypasta site to try to find a novel about him.

Slenderman by Willow Rose is part nine of the Emma Frost mystery series, which I don't know much about, but the author had a lot of cool, creepy looking titles in her extensive backlist, so this could turn out to be a new must-read author for me.

Both of these books are free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers. I've linked to them for your convenience, but please note that I am not an Amazon affiliate. I do not get paid for your clicks. These picks are based on my personal preference. I get nothing in exchange for showcasing them here. The same goes for the app below. xoxo

Last, but not least, I picked up a new app called Colorfy: Coloring Book for Adults, Free.

I was directly inspired by the lovely N.j. Walters, who stated on her Facebook page a couple of months ago that she had bought a coloring book for grownups. I thought, how fun is that?

I've always liked coloring and sketching, so last night I went hunting around for grown up coloring books and found the Colorfy App. I really like it. It's free like it says, installed easily from Amazon App Store. Within minutes I was thumbing through the mandalas and florals looking for a picture to color.

The app allows you to email and share your colored pages. To test out the features, I colored two pages, which took between ten and twenty minutes, and I saved them to my Fun Stuff  board on Pinterest.

This is one of the finished Colorfy pages. The app allows you to name your creations. I chose Hens and Chicks - named after the succulent plants.

Overall a neat, cute little app for all ages. The interface is minimalist, clean, and easy to navigate. Simply choose a coloring sheet from the available albums, and tap-to-paint. To get into the tight places on the coloring sheets, you can pinch to zoom on your touch screen, and it will enlarge the smaller details.

So there you have it. My latest Kindle downloads. I'm about to go flop across the bed and start reading that Slenderman book right now. I hope you all have a cozy Labor Day weekend. Until next time, happy wishes! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.