Saturday, September 19, 2015

It's Complicated

I didn't get in a lot of editing time Friday afternoon: too much crazy pants going on at home. So, I'm up late/early revising the next scene in this book.

Anyway, what I'm doing... feel free to break out the wine while I complicate this for you, okay? I've been working on one scene at a time, really digging in with each one as I come to it, seeing what is there, and what isn't, and what needs to be added.

To do this, I copy the scene I'm about to work on from my Scrivener, then I move it into Word for revising. Once I've cleaned up the scene or rewritten it or whatever, I paste it back into a Scrivener project set aside as a "container" for the final draft scenes. That way I can work from multiple drafts without accidentally cutting something I wanted to keep.

It sounds bonkers, all that moving stuff around, but that's about as organized as I can get with this project. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around it any other way. I've never been one of those "neat" draft people to start with, but even for me this is a little complicated. I'm totally blaming the Mercury Retrograde going on right now. Any given day my process is a little like an explosion of glitter; I toss a handful of little sparkly story bits into a room, then spend the rest of my time trying to contain it and arrange it into something that makes sense. Brilliant method, right? No? I know, but I can't seem to help it. Care to pass the wine, now, please? I'm going to need it for this project.

That said, I'm setting a deadline for the end of October for Harlequin Hopeful. Hubby told me we've almost paid in the yearly deductible for our health insurance, and as much as I hate it, if we top it out, I need to take advantage of it. I've been putting off two very necessary surgeries, because I'm a big ol' chicken. But if the time is financially right, I've got to go in.

So that's where I'm at right now. I'm creeping along at a slug's pace through this revision, and I haven't even gotten to the part in the novel where I know the hero and heroine have breakfast, like, seventy-two times when they're actually only in close proximity for six full days. *insane laughter* Nevertheless, I'm throwing down the gauntlet and giving myself until October 31st to have this book ready for my crit partner to beta reading. Wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^