Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Impose Your Own Terms



I saw this T.S. Eliot quote on Facebook yesterday, and it really hit the mark for me. When it comes to writing, I'm always trying to color inside the lines, so to speak. There are specific elements required to meet the expectations of certain genres, and I've always struggled with that, no matter what genre I'm writing. This is especially true when I start a story from a plot scenario rather than from character, and more often than not, that's how story ideas come to me, as a snip of dialogue or an interesting situation.

With all the changes going on in the industry, as well as the changes happening within the writing communities I'm involved with, I've come to the realization that I've got to let go of the old rules and the expectations I've been trying to write by. I say this not because the genre purists are wrong, but because their rules are absolutely paralyzing me as an author.

When I saw this T.S. Eliot quote the other day, it was like finding a message in a bottle that was personally addressed to me. I've spent many years now studying writing craft and learning the rules, but at this point in my career, I feel it's time to break away and write my fiction on my own terms. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^