Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Seeing Stars: Over the 60k Mark


I'm officially over the 60k mark on the new novel. *confetti* I still haven't recovered my files from the Acer, or that count would be much higher. There's nothing to be done for it at the moment, though. I have to wait until I get paid so I can buy that sata to usb enclosure to put the old hard drive in. By then I will have pretty much rewritten the lost parts from scratch, so I might as well just keep going and write it through to the end. C'est la vie.

Anyway, I've been writing this book in little bits and pieces, and at the end of the day, I take the scraps and notes and turn them into scenes and chapters. Once I get it down on paper, I go dump everything into a Scrivener file. The draft is a hot mess, but the potential is there. Thankfully, Scrivener allows me to swap the scenes around with ease. For now, I'm letting the story be what it wants to be, which is a dark romantic suspense. Hmm. It may even be more in the territory of a crime story, but with a strong romantic elements. It doesn't really strike me as a Cora Zane type book, I'm thinking about publishing this one under a different name. I haven't decided yet.

This afternoon, I sat down and sketched out the ending of the novel. Up to this point, I had only a very loose idea for an ending. Okay, I was flying blind toward an event that had no name. I didn't have a tangible end target at all, and didn't realize it until I took a break this morning to read an interview.  After thinking about this story in a general sense, I realized I didn't have a target to hit so I'd know I'd reached "the end." So, I sat down in the writing cave with a pen and paper and began writing out all the possible endings to my novel: the good, the bad, and the ridiculous. I'm happy to say one ending stood out amidst all the others, and now I'm back on track.

So now it's 30k or bust. This book needs to be at least 85k, preferrably 90k; I still have a lot of words to work with. At least from this point on, I have a better idea of where the story is going to end up.



Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love, 
to work to play, and to look up at the stars. - Henry Van Dyke

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^