Sunday, March 08, 2015

Breaking the 20k Barrier

Tomorrow I'm making an appointment with the gastroenterologist in Ruston. I've been sick, feverish, and in the worst kind of pain for well over a week. I spent most of yesterday and today lounging around feeling like crap, running a temp, etc. It hurts just to stand up. Clearly the pain is not going to go away on it's own, so it's time to call it in and find out what's wrong and what can be done about it.

About two hours ago, I took a dose of pain mediation that's so old it's a wonder moths didn't fly out of the bottle when I opened it. We never cull the medicine cabinet; everything sort of accumulates and then goes to rot in there. Or the label blanches and falls off the medicine bottle so I no longer know what the pills are for. That's when I toss them out.

I hate taking pain medication - hate, with a passion - because it always makes me feel queasy. Even after I gave birth to MiniBeast, via c-section, I ditched the prescribed pain pills and took over the counter Tylenol instead. Well, earlier tonight, I broke my no pain meds rule. I was hurting so bad I took a ten year old Loritab. I'm stunned it had any effect at all, but it did. Thank goodness for that, otherwise I wouldn't be able to sit here and type this blog post. I do feel a bit queasy from it, sadly. Still it's better than lounging around crying in pain.

I did very little writing today. It hurts too much to sit at the computer. Instead, I camped out with a heating pad and finished reading Richard Laymon's The Beast House. He's one of my favorite authors of all time. His books tend to be hit or miss, and they're chock full of rape scenes (which I prefer to skip), but I love his writing style anyway. Even his "bad" books. I've learned a lot about writing from reading his work. I've learned more from him that probably from any other author. That said, his beast house series is pretty good. I've read The Cellar, and now The Beast House. I have one more book in the set left to read. I'll see if I can pick up a copy to read next weekend.

Yesterday, I got a couple thousand words down. I'm back over the 20k mark after losing all my data via the untimely death of my old PC. I'm glad the story is growing again.

Unlike my other books, the project I'm currently working on goes off into some dark and unsettling directions. I love the characters, and they love each other; however, I don't think this is going to be a Cora Zane book, in the sense that it is a dark romance. Yes, the story has romance in it, but truthfully, it's more of a horror/supernatural thriller. Instead trying to reign it in to appease the genre, I've decided to let it be what it will be.

I haven't decided yet whether I want to publish this new novel myself, or submit it to a few places first. Whatever route I choose to take, I'm pretty sure I'll be pubbing this one under a different name for branding reasons. Just an FYI for anyone curious. Whatever I chose to do with it, I'll share the news here when the time is right. I typed that as "write" then changed it. See where my mind is?

That's all for now. Until next time, happy wishes! ☺

2 comments:

  1. Sending get well vibes your way! Hope all goes all right at the doctors.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^