Sunday, January 25, 2015

The 40k Threshold

Last night I crossed the 40k threshold for the novel I'm working on, and today, after a few hours writing, I'm pushing closer to 45k. This is major progress for me. I've been creatively stoppered for months.

I'm pleased with the current word count. Forty thousand: that's my happy zone number. Stories that hit that mark tend to run the full mile to completion. Such is my experience anyway.

I don't really have a set goal in mind in terms of length for this particular story, but I'm guessing it will end up in the 60-70k range.

The story still has quite a bit of expanding to do. I have a couple of plot holes left to fill...although the main hole I was worried about patched itself in early this morning. That happened after I stopped trying to control the story, and just let it flow naturally through the characters. Some epiphany, eh? That worked so well I'm going to let the story go where it wants to go until it hits "the end." I'm going to do the same with the characters. Pour some motivation on them and let them run around like windup toys until they either run down or die off.

There are areas that need more fleshing out, and that's a good thing. That means I'll eventually go back in and add more words there. Overall, I really hope the story runs long. It's so much easier to cut things out, than to cut things out and then have to patch new things back in just to create length.

At this point I can only guess what the draft will look like after it's finished. Probably a mess, but I'll deal with that when the time comes. For now I'm happy with the progress, and the direction of the story. It feels like that final missing piece has clicked in place. It's flowing a lot more easily now. Thank you: plot bunnies, story gnomes, book faeries. It'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^