Saturday, June 07, 2014

Ready for Revision

Updates. Yes, I finally have updates. I'm still working with Wicked Obsession and getting it ready to be proofread. Most of the issues I've faced with this book are spacing issues. I converted the novel from pdf to a word document, so I had a lot of words crammed together and nothing was separated into proper paragraphs after the conversion. What a mess. Nothing too taxing to fix, just time consuming.

I've been doing a light edit over the material as I go through it, and I've caught and changed a few little things. Nothing major. Overall, the manuscript is very clean. Then again, it should be, since I'm working from a previously published copy.

Anyway, I've about got all that spacing business fixed. I'm planning to hire someone to do the proofreading, but I have to be cost conscious about it. The most common price rate seems to be $1.00 a page and up, and Wicked Obsession falls into the 65k/200+ page category. So, I'm shopping around looking for someone experienced who will take less than the cost of my soul to do the proof reading. I may have to go with beta readers instead. We'll see.

A couple of days ago I announced that I'd reached 50k on the category romance I've been workshopping. It ended up a little over that mark, well within the target word count zone. Oh, I'm talking about the cowboy story, by the way.

Today I picked up extra Post-it notes, found my highlighters, and scrounged up several ink pens that still write. Now I'm all set. On Monday, I begin revisions on the cowboys. I'm hoping for a quick and dirty revision, if you know what I'm saying, but this book has already seen three rough draft incarnations, so I'll probably end up sobbing over this monsterpiece all the way to submission day. That said, I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. This book needs major revisions, and I'm not even going to kid myself about that. I'm rolling up my shirt sleeves, and in the weeks ahead, I'll post progress as it happens. I want this book finished. Wish me luck!

As of last Tuesday, I have all the stories pulled together for Twilight's Edge. I thought that day would never come. I have the table of contents jotted down, and now I just need to find the time to put it all together and begin revisions. The Desire comes first, so it will likely be August before I begin revising the fae stories. One thing for certain, I'm going to have a for real, girl's day out celebration once that book is finished and uploaded. I'm totally not kidding. This book has been a royal bugbear. More so than A Trick of Light could ever hope to have been. As of this post, I have the ebook version of Twilight's Edge scheduled for an October release. It's going to be my Halloween-ish celebration book for this year.

On the side, in my free time, I've been working on my vampire opus. I think this will be my next BIAM project. I have a full draft written for this book, half a second draft (lots of changes and tweaks) and a file containing dozens of subplots, still the book still isn't what I initially imagined it to be. More tweaking ahead, I realize. This book is the book of my heart. It's the book the experts tell you to write "just for yourself" because it's that magical book you yourself want to read. The experts failed to tell me the book of my heart is also extremely difficult to write. Yeah, I know. I need to just get out of my own way and get back to the core idea. That's so hard to do sometimes. I could probably write a whole blog post about nothing but that - taking a story back to it's core idea. Then again...meh.

Okay, I need to get back to work. Now that the house is settled for the evening, I need to jump on my to-do list and tackle a few things. Until next time...happy wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^