Monday, June 23, 2014

My Writing Process – Blog Tour :: In Media Res and the BBE

Welcome to my stop along the "My Writing Process" blog tour!

Hi, I'm Cora Zane, the author of Wicked Obsession, How to Date an Android, What She Doesn't Know, and the Werekind Werewolf series of erotic romances. I've also appeared in several erotica anthologies, including The Dirtyville Collection, Never Say Never, Coming Together: Hungry for Love, and Morning, Noon, and Night

For a complete book list, please visit my website.

I was invited to participate in this intriguing write-craft Q and A blog tour by the lovely and talented Yolanda Sfetsos. Next Monday, Nancy Henderson will be joining the tour, and sharing interesting tidbits about her writing process. Her blog and website are linked below.


Onward to the Cora Z. Writing Process Q and A! 

What am I working on?


I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a backlist vampire novel that I plan to self-publish at the end of the month, and I'm revising a category romance novel that I plan to submit in July.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?


Everyone's perspective is unique. The same goes for a writer's style and voice. You could tell a room full of men and women to write a 100 word flash fiction story revolving around a popular trope or theme, and everyone in that room would bring a unique story and perspective to the table. My work is different, because I'm me. :o)

Why do I write what I do?

Everything I write about has to be deeply interesting to me in some way, or I'll end up abandoning the project. Regardless of what genre I choose to write in at a given moment, most of my work explores my characters' secret desires, both whom and what they've always longed for. Until the start of the story, they've simply been too afraid or too busy to go after what they really want in life.

How does your writing process work?

When I get an idea for a story, it may be a scenario or a character that catches my attention first. If I start with a scenario, I play around with a chain of possible events to see if my idea can be worked into something I can actually write from start to finish. If I come up with the character first, I open up a new file in Word and try to figure out where that character comes from, what their job is, who their friends are... A character may morph into someone else several times before I make the decision to actually use them in a story.

I also plot heavily before I ever begin writing. I do a lot of pre-writing. Many, many pages of pre-writing. I try to figure out what the logical plot points might be, and I build back stories for my main characters - profiles that may or may not ever end up being used in the written work. I do that to help cement their personalities, and when I actually start writing, I begin in the middle of the book, in media res.

I call the midpoint starting scene in my draft the Big Bad Event (BBE) of my story, because everything my character does after that scene is done in order to fix what's broken and resolve the conflicts in play. Everything at the beginning of the book leading up to the BBE is story setup and initial character development.

Most of the time, this process works for me. When it doesn't, it's usually a sign I didn't flesh out the plot or develop the characters enough before I started writing. 


•••

Thanks for dropping by for my stretch of the My Writing Process blog tour. Next Monday, June 30th, Nancy Henderson will be blogging about her writing process at Always a Story. Nancy Henderson is the author of Blackbird, Stranger in His Bed, Wicked Redemption, and Nathan's Return. She also writes humorous cat stories. If you're a cat person, you definitely won't want to miss Litterboxes and Hairballs

Until next time, happy wishes!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I outlined better than I do. I'd probably have a lot less problems with the writing process. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kicker is the revisions. I hate revising. I know it's part of the process, but there it is...evil, evil revisions.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^