Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Adventures in CreateSpace :: Matte vs. Glossy

Glossy                                      Matte
As I've said before, this is my first foray into publishing with CreateSpace. After uploading my book multiple times, I ordered glossy and matte proofs for A Trick of Light. Now that I've had time to give the books a road test of sorts, I thought I'd share the pros and cons of each cover type with you. 

Overall, putting the cover together has been a headache, and if you don't have a good art program - or you're like me and have little tech savvy when it comes to using an art program - I highly highly recommend hiring someone to make your cover. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble. The problem isn't so much with creating the art, or even with uploading the files, it's with the lack of flexibility once your image is loaded into the CreateSpace cover builder. There are bleed zones to consider, and you can't shift the text around once it's uploaded to the cover builder. 

If I hadn't already put together my ebook for Smashwords before I decided to try putting my book on CreateSpace, I would have saved myself a great deal of trouble and simply hired someone to build a set of covers for me. I consider this a hard lesson learned. 

If you want to hear more about my take on covers, I've uploaded a video comparing the glossy and matte covers I have on hand. Also, I talk a little bit about my CreateSpace experience. If you wear earphones while listening to this, you'll probably hear my ceiling fan. Very sorry about that. I'll know next time I make a video to turn off the fan. As for the rest...Yes, I have a weird southern accent, and no, I'm not wearing any makeup. Nevertheless, I hope you'll find something in all my rambling that turns out to be helpful for you. 

If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments here on my blog. I'll try to answer the best I can.



1 comment:

  1. This is one of the very fascinating posts. Since I am new in blogging and I require incredible instructional activity like your post. Best custom essay writing service help you compose extraordinary essays.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^