Wednesday, April 23, 2014

New Territory :: Getting My Feet Wet

Indeed I got my feet wet yesterday. Friends and family who really know me, they'll tell you I circle the pool a couple of times to study the waters, but when I jump in, I dive head first into the deep end. Well, yesterday was no exception. I did a lot of firsts yesterday.

My ebooks have always been uploaded to Amazon by the publisher, but yesterday, that all changed. First thing Tuesday morning, I reformatted Wave Rider and uploaded it to Amazon.The Kindle edition is now available here.

I also reformatted A Trick of Light for CreateSpace, another first for me, which wasn't a terrible experience, except for that hour or so when I was foaming at the mouth and shrieking dirty words while trying to set the page numbers. But we're going to forget that happened, right? Right.

CreateSpace rejected my preexisting cover, the one currently up at Smashwords, so I had to make a new one. That was no easy task. I had to repurchase the main stock image, which wasn't expensive or a problem, but the photo I had used for a light filter was from a stock site that no longer exists. I searched for the photographer on several other stock sites, but I couldn't find her anywhere. So I wasn't able to repurchase the filter image, and the one I have is only 72 dpi. Nevertheless, I've managed to cobble a new cover together. It's the same, but a little different. More black toned than brown, which is fine. It suits the book well. I'm going to add the text and all that jazz today, and use the cover creator to work up the back cover. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes this step will be easier than formatting page numbers.

Now to get back to editing and rewriting. I have a stack piled high with projects I need to tackle. Front and back list. One day, probably after I win the lottery, I'm going to hire a personal editorial assistant to help me sort through all this mess. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^