Monday, February 17, 2014

Writing and Revising :: Rinse and Repeat

Cue the slippery socks dance! Late last night I finished the rough draft for one of the Werekind stories I'll be releasing this year. The story needs at least another draft, but the idea behind it is complete and on the page. That's the important thing - that it exists as a whole. However, I won't be diving straight into edits and rewrites. Instead, I'm giving that story a cooling off period while I switch focus to rewrites on another project.

This book I'm about to rewrite is a short, 50-55k novel. I've already printed it up, and it's on my desk.  I've divided it chapter by chapter, and I've already begun reading through what's there and making notes as I go. When I finish, I'll outline/write a synopsis for the entire thing. I'm doing this to prep the book for the major surgery it's going to need to salvage it. It's definitely in no shape to be submitted right now. I have three variations of this same book to work with, and I'm not sure which one I like the best - or rather, which version tells the heroine's story the best. I hereby declare this book my "headache project" of 2014, and I will continue to refer to it that way until it's rewritten and out the door. I've given myself a July deadline on this book.

First thing out of bed this morning, I sat down with the full novel, and a cup of coffee, and began writing out the pros and cons of each story version. There are some elements that work across all three variations, but there are other elements that I'll have to remove entirely if I go with version one or two. For example, in version two, if I use that beginning, it will eliminate a secondary character completely. I'll have to root her out of the story from beginning to end. Talk about a job. But I'll do whatever is best for the story. So prepare to hear a lot of fussing and ranting in the future as I dig myself out of this fictional mud pit. See the kind of messes I get myself into?

While I'm on the topic of writely things, in March, I'll be attending the 2014 Nola Stars workshop in Shreveport. The chapter isn't having a conference, per say. Rather, they're bringing in keynote speaker Margie Lawson to talk to everyone. There will also be an awards ceremony to announce the winner of the Suzannah contest, and there will be awards to celebrate our chapter members' accomplishments as well. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. Last year, I wasn't able to attend the conference, and I haven't been able to go to many of the monthly meetings for about a year.

Other than writing here and there, and reading books for the Rita, that's really all I've got going on at the moment. Brain work, mostly. Writing, revising, rinse and repeat. Oh! I did have a lovely Valentine's Day, though. Hubby bought me a box of chocolate truffles (which are all gone now, om nom nom) and a gorgeous bouquet of antique pink roses in a heavy, red vase. He knows me so well, that man. He's definitely a keeper. I love the roses, and I'll absolutely be using that vase again.

That's all for now. As always, I'm on Facebook, Twitter, and Smashwords if you're looking to connect with me outside of blogger, so don't be a stranger. And if you'd like to have my important book news-ish stuff delivered to your email, consider signing up for my email newsletter. Links are on both sidebars here on my blog. Sending you positive vibes for your Monday and throughout the week.

Until next time, happy wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.