Thursday, February 06, 2014

Mercury Retrograde: Relax and Write


Today's the first day of the Mercury retrograde. I think it's going on until the 28th of February. I'm not sure of the exact ending date. But instead of sweating mechanical malfunctions (don't even get me started about my car) or worrying about things that are out of my control (like, everything), I'm going to relax, let go, and allow the energy to flow around me. The cards will land where they may. And let me tell you, just writing that down makes me feel tons better and less stressed. I highly recommend writing down what's bothering you and releasing it. I read somewhere that when you feel like you can't hold on to something anymore, just let it go. If something is truly yours, the universe can't take it away. I can't remember who said that. It's about 2:30 in the morning, I'm lucky to have proper brain function, and I'm too tired to Google the quote, so make of that whatever you will. Moving along...

I'm going to use the retrograde period to go back over a draft I finished in December. It's just shy of fifty thousand words. It's ready for a round of edits, and probably a half dozen rewrites. I know the book is going to expand when I go through the revisions, so I really have to be careful and make every scene count. The piece is flawed, but I'm going to stick it out and trust the process. This novel is my main, focal project of 2014, and I start shaking in my boots whenever I think about it.

I hate revising. It makes me nervous. Sometimes, I can't see the statue, or even a potential statue, in the stone slab of a manuscript I've managed to pull from the imagination quarry. I've printed up the rough draft of the focal story, and that's exactly what it feels like I'm facing. It feels like I've been handed a spoon and told I need to carve Michael Angelo's David with it. Good luck, right?  Nevertheless, this is it. This project is my David waiting to be born. Somehow I have to get the man out of the stone slab. It's not going to be fun or easy, but I will never rest until this story is told. Period. It's one of those "stick with you" ideas that just won't let go.

About a week or two after I completed my rough draft on The David Project, which is what I'll call it for this blog post, I had gone on a shopping trip to a nearby town and bought a couple of books. They were all from the category line I'm targeting. I've been reading this line for a few years now. Anyway, since my favorite line is hard to find in my hometown, the book lady rarely ever stocks the Desire line anymore, I was really excited to find the full month's set of books on the shelf. On that particular shopping trip, I bought three books in total, all in that same line.

As soon as I got home, I sat down in my favorite chair and read the first chapter of what I now refer to as the "omg, book". I nearly tossed my cookies, not because the omg book was bad or gross or anything like that. It was actually really good. But the "omg book" had an opening scene similar to the first chapter of my David project. (Cue sobbing noises.)

Synchronicity? Irony? The universe pranking me, or otherwise playing a vicious joke at my expense? Any way you want to look at it...damn. Just damn. I mean, what are the odds that something like that is going to happen? Particularly in category? I'm glad I bought the book. I never would've known otherwise.

I'm sure similar scenes probably happen more often than I realize, but, after reading that first chapter, I had a panic attack and a big cry. I knew as soon as I began reading the omg book that I was going to have to rethink and rewrite my first chapter in order to make it different, and I'm still not sure how I'm going to do that. But I have to do something. It would really suck to send in a book that I've worked on for this long, only to have the editor reject me and tell me it's because they already have a book like that. I would definitely stick my head in a bucket if that happened. No doubt about it.

What gets me is that the beginning of the David project is the part of the story that I felt most confident with writerly-wise. So of course, that's the section I'm going to have to change the most before I even hit the ground running on those revisions. Head. Desk. Yeah.

That's just the first of a few issues I'm facing with The David Project. Still I figure this is probably the best time for me to tackle it, when I'm coming off one project and I'm ready to start editing another. And it just so happens the retrograde is revving up. Maybe it will give me a creative push regarding past projects that need a second look. A cosmic do-over, if you will.

Changing topic slightly here... For the past two weeks I've been writing a Werekind story, and I very recently cleared the half way mark in the manuscript. It wasn't until late in the 2nd chapter, or maybe it was early in the 3rd chapter, that I hit my stride with these characters, so I'm tweaking it here and there as I go. I really just need to push forward with it, stop worrying about making mistakes in the draft, and wrap it up. The romance is there. The conflict is there. Basically, I have something to work with. I need to flesh it out more and round off the corners. I can tell already, though, I'm going to want to pull  this story apart at the plot points and layer in more emotion once it's written. But anyway, I want to get this book finished as soon as possible, so I can give it a cooling off period before I dive in to revise it.

Anyway, that's what's going on with me at the moment. Bookish things, mostly. (Questionably) pleasant, creative things. I've been spending less time on the internet, which has done a world of good for my depression, and I hope no one thinks I'm avoiding them. I'm not. There's no one currently (ha!) on my To-Avoid list. Rather I've been spending more time hanging out in my happy place. I'm still around though. I check in over at Facebook at least once a day to read friends timelines, even if I don't post on my own. So, don't be a stranger. I haven't stopped blogging. Things are just moving along at a slower pace than usual.

Before I go, please consider adding me on Smashwords. I'll be releasing new Werekind stories there this year. http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/CoraZane

My sincerest thanks to all my readers and subscribers for your continued support.
Happy wishes!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the editing process now and I hate it. good luck with the work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your editing! I'm a little closer to finishing this current wip.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^