Sunday, November 10, 2013

50k/30 :: Writing a Novel on Your Phone

Meow
In the spirit of NaNoWriMo, I'm continuing my blog series about writing a novel on your phone or iPod Touch. To view my previous post, you can read what I had to say about the Werdsmith app here:

http://corazane.blogspot.com/2013/11/werdsmith-for-ipod-touch-writing-on-go.html

Another writing app I like is 50k/30. It's $1.99 in the iTunes store, and it's well worth the price. It's so easy to use, there really isn't even a learning curve. You click the "write" button and start typing. It auto saves your work, so you can close it down in a hurry. Best of all, it has no ads. Bless the designer's heart. No ads.

You can pick up a copy for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch (5.1 OS or later) at the iTunes store:

https://itunes.apple.com/tw/app/50k-30/id570422816?mt=8

I'm actually using the 50k/30 app more than the others I've bought and/or downloaded for free. It's perfect for NaNoWriMo. It has a simple, streamlined launch screen. You simply tap the Write button at the bottom of the screen to bring up the text space for writing. Or you click the flower/gear in the bottom right corner to adjust the app settings.

(Click the pictures to make them larger.)

There are six color themes to choose from.
I selected black because it was easier to
photograph in my office. 
One of the things you can adjust on the settings page is the theme's colors. In the YouTube demonstration, the theme bar is color coded. Mine isn't. You can clearly see the theme bar on my app screen is off white/gray. However, the color changer works fine for me. Just click one of the segments on the theme bar and you'll get a new color. In this case, it's pink.



Available theme colors are black, gray, pink, lavender, bright turquoise blue, and aqua green. All of the colors are shown on the 50k/30 app page in the iTunes store. 

Also on the settings page, you can adjust the font face and font size, you can turn auto correct on or off, and you can adjust how you want the app to count your words.

One of the things I like best about this app is that you set how you want the word count tracker to figure up your words. You can get it to show you an exact word count as you type it. Or, you can go to settings, and set the word tracker to give you a count down showing how many words you have left to reach 50k. You can see an example of both in the photos below.


The writing page is the simple to use. It auto saves your work, so there is no worry about forgetting to click a save button. There are only two icons to work with. The house icon will take you back to the 50k/30 launch screen. The envelope button allows you to email your work.

I love this app. It's my favorite so far. It's simple to use, has a streamlined interface, works exactly the way it is advertised, and doesn't take up a lot of space on your device. Added bonus - like I said before - no ads. Beautiful. I highly recommend 50k/30.

Notice: I purchased the 50k/30 app with my own money, and the article reflects my honest opinion. I do not get paid in any way for endorsing this product. I am not an affiliate of 50k/30 or iTunes. I do not receive any compensation for readers clicking on my links. They are there simply for your convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^