Sunday, August 11, 2013

Rainy Sunday

Rain, sunshine, and horses.
I've made two editing passes over the last short story for my collection, and it still needs work. I love the premise behind it, but it's been a major pain to write. The story keeps expanding, and when I went back to read over the final three scenes last night, they don't read so much like a finale. Instead, they read like an inciting incident. What does that mean? It means: uh-oh. Now what?

I think this story was meant to be a novel, but right now I don't have time to write a full book with these characters. I considered pulling the story from my collection and just going with what's there, but that will run me about 2k short of what I'd anticipated, so I'm thinking I may have to write another short. (wailing and gnashing of teeth)

Anyway, that's my current writing dilemma. This story was supposed to be 2k max, but it exploded to almost 7k within two writing sessions. What's worse, I can easily see how to expand this thing to a full novel. The characters have a lot to say, it seems.

At any rate, I'm torn with what to do. I hate to ax the characters entirely. To me, they're interesting, and I think the story has legs, but I believe it may already be too long to include in my collection. My plan is to go ahead and revise what I have. Proof it to the nth degree. Once it's cleaned up I'll figure out what to do with it. Where to go from here and whatnot.

Tonight I'm printing up the rough draft for the category novel I wrote. It's way short on the word count, and many scenes need fleshing out, but the story is on the page. That's the important thing. I can build from what's there.

I still don't have a much needed new printer, so I'm going to have to print this thing a page at a time because that's all the old behemoth can handle. Yay, me.

That's all for now. I'll post more as things progress. Now, I'm off to eat dinner. Happy Sunday, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.