Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Tea Time Tuesday (and other random thoughts)

Image courtesy of FreePhotos.se - Free & Public Domain Photos | (c) Magnus Rosendahl
Today I've written about 2k words, and I'm about to open a file for proofing. First things first - tea. I couldn't go on without a cup of tea.  I just made some Raspberry Zinger and carried it back here to my office. Fruit teas aren't my favorite, but they'll do in a pinch. And yeah, a pinch. Let's just say I really, really need to get to the store and pick up a few groceries. The cupboards are bare.

I've been reading a lot of books lately, and there's something I noticed about drawing readers into the setting. Now, this is not every author's technique, of course, but I was reading a horror novel when I noticed the author didn't describe much about setting unless a character was presently interacting with the set, or about to interact with it. I know this wouldn't work 100% of the time. There were exceptions to this within the very book I'm talking about. However, for this observation, I noticed that when the author did this, I didn't skim those setting details. I actually read them. That's food for thought.

© Lleha | Dreamstime Stock Photos
& Stock Free Images
  
Last night I dreamed I was at my godfather's dental office. I was there working because one of his regular assistants was out sick. We were preparing to close for the day, and he said to me, "Do you want to get lunch?" I assumed it was Saturday, because that's the only day of the week he works half a day. I said, "Sure."  By the time I'd turned around, though, he had gone out to his car, and I could only stand there and watch him. He turned and looked at me a moment before he climbed into his car, and I realized he had to leave without me. I had this feeling it was the last time I was going to see him.

The dream shifted from there. I was walking home, and I found myself walking along the strip mall in town. I was window browsing when I ran into my mother, who was coming out of one of the shops near the nail salon. She was surprised and happy to see me and said she wanted to take me to DG to do some shopping, but she had to do something else first. Attend to business or some such thing.. Before she left, she pointed down the mall and said that dad was down there. I left her to do her thing, and went to find Dad. He'd parked his truck outside DG and was sitting on the curb. I sat down beside him and asked what he was doing. We talked for a few minutes, then I looked down at my feet and saw a large wolf spider crawling across the parking space and heading directly for my shoe.

Dad began to talk about how he liked spiders, but I didn't want to risk getting bitten. I took off my shoe and smacked the spider, but it didn't just kill it - it popped open the egg sack I didn't know it was carrying and dozens of teeny tiny spiders scattered everywhere. I jumped up, not sure what to do. Dad was cooing at the spiders, scooped up some of them and put them on the curb. That's about the time Mom showed up. I was grateful for the rescue.

Mom and I went into DG. I'm not really sure what we were shopping for, but I had this idea in my head it was because I was either about to move or already living in a new house. The store was very crowded. There were dozens of people shopping and many of the shelves were empty, still we pushed through the aisle and at one point, someone stopped her and asked her who had sent us to the sale - she told the sales person it was my Uncle Deward. That's when I woke up.

Spiders are a recurring dream symbol for me. I remember dreaming about them as a child. Still they manage to freak me out. Not as much as wasps, but...spiders. Eek.

That's it for now. I have a few things left to do so I can relax with the guys tonight. Happy Tuesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.