Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Kitteh Overload


Last Friday the school called hubby to pick up Mini Beast. The school nurse told us he was feeling nauseated, and I figured he was probably nauseated by a math test he was going to have that afternoon. Poor beast. Hubby picked him up and brought him home, and when he got here he was running a low grade fever. I gave him some Tylenol and put him on the couch with a pillow, blanket, and a movie. He fell asleep (not like him at all) and took a three hour nap. When he woke up, he sat up abruptly and started vomiting. The kid was sick all weekend. Between the barfing and running to the bathroom, we were very worried he was going to become dehydrated. He wouldn't even touch food. We bought him a case of Gatorade, cans of chicken soup, and saltine crackers. He would do fine for a little while, then the yuck cycle would begin again. 

First thing Monday morning I took him to see my doctor. What a relief the kidlet is going to be okay. The doctor prescribed antibiotics, and this nausea medicine that's absorbed through the skin on your wrists. (We chose the cream instead of a shot, because the poor kid was so worried they were going to jab him with a needle.) 

The nausea meds seem to be working, and last night was our first vomit free night since Friday. I'm greatly relieved. We've been very worried about him. 

On Saturday, Mini was resting on the couch when the neighbor's orange tabby girl ran in the house. She's been coming here to eat. In fact, most of the neighbor's cats have migrated over here. We have a batch of kittens from a silver tabby in the bedroom. We've been calling her Mom Cat. The orange tabby we've been calling Tiny. Tiny ran in the house and stood in the dining room a minute, then made a loud yowl and ran into the den. She hopped up on the couch with Mini where he was resting and watching TV. Tiny Cat likes to snooze with Mini on the couch, but this time, she jumped up there and was yowling loudly. It scared Mini so badly, he hopped up and was plastered against the far wall. It turns out, Tiny cat's water broke in the dining room and she'd run to her favorite cozy spot to give birth. Fave cozy spot being her snuggle spot with Mini. 

I put the dogs out, and made it into the den in time to show Tiny cat there was a free pet bed by the entertainment center. She climbed off the couch, hobbled to the bed to lie down. Immediately, she delivered her first kitten. A little orange tabby. Her very own Mini-Me.  

Tiny cat ended up having four kits. Three are orange tabbies; the other is a calico. I believe all the kits are girls. As soon as they are big enough to transport, we are taking them to our neighbor. They are her cats, not ours. So far I'm fine to give them a place to nurse the kits til they have their eyes open. The neighbor's kids are so rough I'm not comfortable taking the kits over there until they are at least six weeks. I can't keep the cats, obviously, but I don't want the kids hurting them either. Once they are big enough, the owner can either take them to the shelter in town (no kill) or give them away. Honestly, I hope she is able to give them all away. They're cute, but it would cost a pretty penny to have them all spayed. 

Mom Cat, the silver tabby, has six kits in our master bedroom. They just got their eyes open, but they still mostly sleep. Once they start wandering a bit, they'll be ready to go back home to the neighbor. They should be ready in a week or two. The orange tabby kit in the picture above is one of Mom Cat's babies. (We are pretty sure Mom Cat and Tiny cat are from the same litter.) 

We have moved Tiny cat's kits and the birthing bed into Mini's room. It's in front of his dresser, and she seems to like it in there. She climbs up on the big bed with Mini sometimes, even after having her kits. I don't know what it is about her, but she loves Mini Beast. She has from day one. We are cat poor right now, and I'll be happy to whittle the house hold down to my two dogs and Kips again, but I honestly don't think Tiny Cat is going to stay at the neighbor's when we finally take her home, kittens or not. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Anyway, kids and cats, that's been the theme here lately. Through it all, I've managed to get some writing done - 2k daily on average. I hope by the end of summer, I'll have a ton of work to put on Smashwords. (And at least one full book to submit through the regular channels.)

That's all for now. I better get back to writing while the house is quiet. Toward the evenings, it gets kind of busy. Not to mention I still have a ton of laundry to do. Sigh. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

2 comments:

  1. You are a saint! I don't know how you handle a sick kid (glad he's doing better), and TWO sets of kitties that aren't even yours! Kudos for being a kind and caring human being :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nyssa. It's been a family effort with the cats and kiddo. I don't know what I'd do without my parents and the guys.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^