Sunday, April 07, 2013

Bed Rest and Salad


On Friday I woke up with a sore throat, but was otherwise feeling great. I was all happy and smiley, and in a really good mood. I'd gotten up at a decent hour, did some writing, and with that out of the way, I got ready to go run errands in town. About midway through grocery shopping, a wave of sickness hit me out of nowhere. Feeling drained and dizzy, I cut my shopping short and went to the check out. Before I could get out of the store my body was aching, and I wondered if I might pass out from sudden exhaustion.

Thankfully, I made it home and managed to get all the groceries in the house. I changed out of my jeans into pajama bottoms and hit the couch. I had full on chills, body aches, and was running fever. I zonked out for a little while, then got up to welcome Mini home from school. Once I had him settled in, though, I zonked out on the couch again.

I woke up starving toward the middle of the night. I didn't want to dirty up a bunch of dishes so I threw together a salad.* I ate that, browsed the net for a bit, then went back to bed and slept the entire night through.

Today my throat isn't quite so sore, but I pretty much slept all day. I'd get out of bed for a little while thinking I felt better, then it would hit me, dizziness and a sudden wave of exhaustion. I'd go back to bed and sleep for hours. It was like that all day Saturday. Not at all how I wanted to spend my weekend.

I'm already feeling tired again, and I haven't been awake that long. I'm going to take a book to bed with me and read until I zonk out. I'll worry about the laundry, dishes, and everything else tomorrow. Before I go, I've included a recipe for the salad below. That's all for now. Happy weekend!


*P.S. About the salad....I could live off salad. Honestly, I could. When I was growing up, my mom would make what we used to call "trash salads". Whatever veggies she had on hand, she shredded and tossed in a salad bowl. Lettuce, carrots, bell pepper, tomato, baby corn, boiled eggs, seeds, walnuts, avocado...you name it.  At times she would also add tuna or shredded ham, and toss in cottage cheese. I loved those salads. She'd make them a lot in the summer time when we lived in Texas. It was too hot to cook. I miss having meals like that, and now that I'm grown, I make salads at home quite often. I guess coming down sick, I intuitively wanted one of mom's salads. 

In case anyone wants it, below is a quickie recipe for the salad I made in the picture above. 

Cora's Salad 
Prepare all your veggies by rinsing thoroughly. Just an FYI so no one comes back
to bonk me on the head for not adding that as a disclaimer.

In a large salad bowl combine and toss:
2 handful of raw baby spinach
1 handful of raw kale 
1 handful of iceburg lettuce (chopped)
1 beefsteak tomato cut into segments
1 small avocado peeled and diced
1 handful of sunflower and pepita seeds (mixed)
a dash of parmesan cheese 

Add dressing of choice. I used Italian in the pic above, since that was what I had in the fridge. The same salad tastes amazing with Caesar, Ranch, and Bleu Cheese dressings, too. 

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, that's no way to spend a weekend! Hope you're feeling better. The salad, though, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy. I'm taking it slow. Maybe I won't sleep through Sunday, too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^