Monday, February 25, 2013

Time Marches On


Please excuse any typos since it's very late, and my brain is fuzzy. Life is a bit crazy right now, and I'm having trouble sleeping. Okay, so the insomnia - that's really nothing new. But, since I have a lengthy to-do list posted on my desk to take care of for Monday, I'm taking advantage of the insomnia and trying to get a jump start on everything.

So, what's been going on with me? Last week, on Tuesday, I hurt my back. Heaven knows how I managed it, but I could barely crawl out of bed the next day, and it was a chore just to walk through the house. I am still sore as can be, and at times when I make a misstep, I'm left hobbling off to the nearest chair. It's frustrating and ridiculous.

Despite the pain and inconvenience of said backache, on Thursday, hubby and I went ahead and took care of our taxes. Thankfully, it all went smooth as silk. The lady got through it very quickly, and we were in and out of there in a little over an hour. Hubby and I went out for lunch afterwards. We went to Sonic since my back was killing me at that point, and that way I didn't have to get out of the car. All things considered, we were in good spirits when we got home. Then the phone rang. One of hubby's long time friends had passed away, and they were sharing the funeral information.

Friday was the funeral. Hubby went, and I stayed home on a heating pad. When hubby made it back, it was almost time for Mini to get home from school. We were ready to unwind for the weekend. My parents dropped by toward the end of the day to visit us, which was fun, and it seemed like things were finally settling down. Later that night, I wrote a few pages on a short story and revised part of another. That was pretty much my goal for the weekend - to write and revise.

On Saturday, my mom called to let us know my Great Aunt Helen had passed away. She was the last of her generation, and my grandfather's oldest sister. She called me a few times over the past few years, but it was mostly to try to draw me into the generations old family gossip that, I hate to say, is rather unspectacular in this day and age. My grandmother had been married before, and divorced, before she married my grandfather. Grandpa's mom didn't approve. Scandalous in the 40s. Today, who gives a flying fig. Yet, it caused a lot bad blood with the older generations, and the gossip-mongers and their brats made it a point to make my dad and his brother and sister miserable. What gets me is the family refuses to let this shit die with the elders.

Aunt Helen's death opened up a great bit batch of family drama, as you can probably imagine. Basically, it peeled the band-aid off a shoddily tended wound. I have no idea why it's even relevant anymore, but it's safe to say Dad and the rest of us out here in lake country won't be going to the funeral. It would just act as fuel for the last remaining family gossips, and now that I'm old enough to know how that family gossip chain works, I know I would not hold my tongue. Yes, I imagine the funeral would be disastrous. We're better off taking flowers to the grave site after it's all said and done.

Moving along.

I know, I know...this is all so very suited to a Mercury Retrograde, isn't it? Drama from the past, taxes, news revolving old friends. And writing stuff, too. I'm having to pick up old projects and take them forward. Mercury Retrograde is a time to rework, reconnect, or release. I guess that means my life cycle is right on track.

On the writing front, I been writing in the evenings, and recently turned in contracts on a new short story. I've been so stressed out lately it's been very hard to write, but I'm trying to plow through it. I need to get Twilight's Edge up on Smashwords - I'm working on the last story for that book. I swear to Christ it's one step forward, two steps back with this project - but it's getting there. I'm stoked by the progress made on this thing.

There are a few other projects I have to wrap up before summer starts, and I'm going to try to squeeze those in before March 18th. I'm registered to take a writing class, and that's when it starts. I'm trying to clear my plate in preparation, but...well, life keeps happening. I guess things will slow down once summer gets here. One can only hope!

That's all for now. It's almost 1:30 and I gotta get to bed. I have to be up bright and early to walk the dogs and get Mini ready for school. Until next time...keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^