Friday, February 08, 2013

Friday Lit Pop #2 : The Illustrated Man

I once owned a copy of Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man - a story that has been very influential for me over the years. I bought a copy of the book at a library sale in the small town where I currently live. Even at the time, way back in 1992 or 1993, I thought that was an unusual book to find in a small town library toss-bin. 

I had watched the movie adaptation a few years before and knew what the book was about. I'm glad I read it. Not only did the writing seem impeccable,  based on what I remember, the adaptation didn't hold a candle to the real deal. 

At the same library sale, I also bought a copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes (and other tales). Both books were small, paperback-sized hardbound library editions. I wish I knew what happened to them. 

The Illustrated Man is a compelling book with fascinating characters that still haunt me to this day. I'd love to reread it now that I know a little more about writing than I did back then. I imagine I could glean plenty from the experience. 

Click here for a link to the movie edition on BN.com.

"You only fail if you stop writing." - Ray Bradbury

"In life and in fiction, when people act in ways that are unusual, unexpected, dramatic, decisive, full of consequence and are irreversible, we remember them and talk about them for years." - Donald Maass, Writing the Breakout Novel

"If there is a book you want to read, but it has not been written yet, then you must be the one to write it." - Toni Morrison


"If I see an ending, I can work backward." - Arthur Miller


"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^