Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Rainy Writerly Saturday


On Saturday I went to my local RWA chapter meeting in Bossier. MiniBeast and Hubster came along for the ride, but they didn't stay for the meeting. A good thing since the contest committee had a post-meeting gathering to talk about the Suzannah. I had to be there for the contest chat, and more than likely, the guys would've been bored if they'd stuck around. But anyway, all went well, and I'm very glad I made it up there to see everyone.

Lately, I've been reading book after book on characterization, and what was this month's workshop?  Character interviews! Fascinating stuff. Definitely my cuppa tea. I saved the workshop sheets so I can go over them later and possibly apply them to my own characters.

I've had great success working with stubborn characters by asking them questions. Julian from Wicked Obsession was one of those stubborn, "I don't want to talk to you" characters. Bah humbug. I grilled him for a solid week before he finally cracked. It took pages and pages to figure him out, but I didn't give up and finally uncovered the secrets behind that tortured soul.

It also helps me keep everyone I'm writing about organized if I do a questionnaire for them and clip it into a story binder. If you're interested, I have a (free and no-registration required) downloadable character bible worksheet on the "For Writers" page of my website. The worksheet is geared toward paranormal characters - just so you know in advance.

After the Nola meeting, I met Mini and Hubby in the parking lot, and we drove over to Chef Lee's for lunch. We had plans in advance to do this since the restaurant is close to the History Center. I was ready to eat by the time we got there, and I've gotta tell you, I killed the garlic shrimp and bok choy. It was so good. Om nom nom... Then after lunch, we dropped by Books A Million, and I picked up a book called The First 50 Pages by Jeff Gerke. It has a cover tag by Donald Maas saying the book is "Invaluable".

I flipped through The First 50 Pages and it looks pretty good. There's this section about Introducing Your Main Character that I can't wait to dig into. It looks really promising. Before taxes, the book was roughly $17 in store. You an also get it at Barnes & Noble. For a print copy, the price is roughly the same. The Nook edition is approximately $11. I'm sure you can get the book at Amazon as well, probably much cheaper if you get it used. Anyway, if you've already read this book, I'd love to hear what you think.

Moving along... Plied with books and happily digesting our bok choy and MSG, the family and I drove home. It rained on us all the way, and hubby and I kept flipping radio channels looking for music to keep us awake. Speaking of the radio. I'm all about modern music and what have you, but this one song came on and the guy was basically screaming the word hate over and over again. Ye-ah. Find your happy place, dude. I realize I'm getting old, but really... Has music come to this? I looked at hubby then changed the radio station. Life is too short to sit through shitty music.

Anyway, we got to the house around 2, and after I took care of a few things, I gave up trying to hold my eyes open. I crashed across the bed and took a nap. Ah, so many Zzzz's . I felt so much better after I woke up, but I guess it's been a lot going on today - I've been courting an oncoming migraine every since. But that's neither here nor there.

Next weekend, there's a Steampunk gathering at Antique Alley we're attending. Steampunk is hubby's latest interest. I'm also meeting up with another writer at the local BaM. So, my social calendar continues to be full. I'm wondering if hubby and I will have time to get po-boys and Bloody Mary's on the way home since Mini won't be with us. Grandma and Grandpa have put in a request to spoil the boy next weekend, so we'll be taking him over there before we go on our outing. Speaking of the parentals, I'm going to visit them tomorrow and take them a card. It's their anniversary. They've been married a hundred and fifty years. Or somewhere thereabouts. ;o)

Anyway, that's all for now. I'm about to jot down a few words, then call it a night. Whatever you've been up to, I hope your Saturday turned out to be a pleasant one!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick reminder that What She Doesn't Know is still on sale through February 2nd at Smashwords. If you input the code PA52B at check out, you can buy the collection for .99 cents.

The collection contains five short erotica stories listed here:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/157206

Erotic content, graphic sex, and matadors. For readers 18 and older ONLY.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! How long does your RWA chapter meetings last? Ours are from 10 am to 4 or 5 pm. I have to drive an hour one way to get there. Makes for a really long day. Fun day but a long day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That's a long meeting. Here they start out with a board meeting - attendance not required, though everyone is welcome to sit through it. Then starting at 10am, there's a general meeting, a short reception, and a workshop. It ends at noon. So, about two hours. Then again, it takes me an hour and a half to get there, so it pretty much turns out to be an all day event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have critique (those who want to read aloud) from 10 to 12, then an hour for lunch and people talk, go out to get something to eat, eat in, whatever, then 1 to 2 the biz meeting, then 2 to 4 the workshop. That's cool how chapters are different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds fab! I'm always curious about what goes on at different chapters. If there was a chapter closer to my home town, I'd totally want to organize something like a Saturday critique session. Currently, it takes me too long to drive there and back to stay much longer than a few hours. I'd be very late getting home.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^