Saturday, November 24, 2012

NaNo Overflow

Happy weekend! A few minutes ago, I was focused on reading through a story I'm cleaning up when there was a knock at the door. A neighbor had dropped by to give me a piece of mail that got put in their box by mistake. Very nice of her! Unfortunately, I look like something the cat dragged in and barfed on the rug. So now, I haz a shame. {blush}

Anyway, I'm back sitting at my desk sipping peppermint tea while going over notes. I've been a busy bee over the Thanksgiving holidays, and now my editing stack is overflowing with new short stories, and a full novel thanks to NaNo. I wish I'd kept better track of my NaNo word count this year, but I couldn't seem to get myself over to the website like I was supposed to. But whatever. The end result is the same. I have enough wordage on my hands to keep me busy revising and editing until January.

Right now, I'm putting the finishing touches on the erotic fairy tale collection, and I'm writing the final story for the vampire/dark erotica collection. Both of these will be available on Smashwords soon. The novel is still very raw. It's definitely going to need another draft, and that could take months.

Also, I've collected dozens of notes (and hastily written sketch scenes) for a new erotic romance novella based on a rough draft I wrote a few years ago. At the time I initially came up with the idea, I couldn't get the story to work. I liked the characters and the overall idea, but I knew something was off when I tried to put it on paper. Honestly, I didn't know enough about plot and structure to work out the problems. So, it's try, try again with that one.

At its core, the story is really not that bad, but it does need quite a bit of clean up work to get it to a point where it's readable, and ultimately salable. I'm going to keep adding notes to the file until I have something solid to work with. Then I'll polish it, send it off for outside editing, and probably set it up as a Grrl X title.

But, for now, that one is still a "folder story". I'm not ready to pick it up yet. Sketching scenes for it has been an exercise in I have fifteen minutes to kill, so now what? writing. If I had a few minutes to spare, I jotted down a scene and tossed it in the hat. No revisions, no looking back. In the months ahead, we'll see what comes of it.

Lots of rewriting. That's pretty much all that's going on here at the moment. Oh, and reading. I'm pairing down my reading list before moving into 2013. Speaking of holidays, the coming new year, and such...We had a very nice, calm, stress-free Thanksgiving. (My favorite kind!) And I'm looking forward to a similar laid-back, stress-free Christmas experience. ;o)

Until next time...happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^