Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Write The Book

While I'm sitting at my desk having a cup of coffee, I thought I'd post an update about the book I'm working on. The one with the crazy deadline.

I'm about six or seven scenes into the book, and as it stands, that's roughly chapter three. It's about 11 a.m., and I've been at the computer about an hour. I slept in a bit, but I don't think that's too shocking since I went to bed at 2 a.m.  So far, I've written a complete scene today. I'm about to start working on the next one. My goal each day, over the next eight or nine days, is to try to write two or three scenes. Three ideally. Two, more realistically. Since I'm short on time, I'm writing the story in a linear fashion from start to finish. No hopping through the book to stick scenes in here and there like I tend to do.

I'm not focusing on word count. Anything over 10k is acceptable for this particular line of books. Normally, I'd chose a target word count to help keep me on track, but in this case, scenes are more important.

The day before I started to actually write this story, I folded a sheet of standard computer paper to create a lot of little boxes (I was out of index cards - the horror!), and I used those boxes to write down all the scenes in the story, start to finish, with as much detail as I could come up with. When I finished doing that, I read through my notes, and made more notes if I saw any sections I thought might have a plot hole. It took me about two days to do that.

Now that I'm in the writing phase, which is where I'll be for the most part over the next week and a half, I go down the list and write a scene. When I finish it, I mark it off my scene list, then revise it, and move on to the next scene. It helps, if I take about an hour with each scene before I start writing it, and sketch it out first. Not really pre-writing, but establishing the elements and boundaries of the scene.  I figure out whose scene it is, and what needs to happen in that scene to progress the book. Then I add the little things I "want" to see happen in the scene. The little zingers and such.

I'll admit, it's a little nerve wracking writing like this, but I know it's doable. I wrote Wicked Obsession in similar fashion, and it helped me get through the really tight deadline I was on then, too.

Anyway, that's what's what for the time being. I need to get back to writing. I hope you all have a happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.