Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Work :: School :: Creativity :: Fears

Walking to class with dad.
I really should be in bed right now, but I just finished working on a cover and my brain is still in creative mode...which kinda sucks, because I have to be up in about three hours to get Mini ready to school.

Speaking of Mini it was his first day of second grade today. {sniffle, sniffle} Hubby and I took him to class. At first, the boy started out kinda-sorta excited, but when were leaving, he looked incredibly nervous sitting in his desk. That, of course, made me nervous.

I worried about him all day long, and by around 3:30 I was counting the minutes until the bus finally dropped him off. I was so relieved when he made it home.

He said he had a good day, no troubles, so therefore I had a good day. Once I got the boy into some play clothes and settled in with a snack, I spent a good hour and a half filling out school papers that have to be returned to the teacher tomorrow.

I'm a bit miffed at how they've changed the school lunches this year. $1.25 for breakfast, $2.00 for lunch, and roughly a dollar (each) for any extras - milk, ice cream, etc. So if you buy breakfast, lunch, and a bottled water it's $4.25 a day. I could spend less buying off the value menu at BK. That's ridiculous, people.

What gets me, is the notice sent home said the kids will receive smaller portions based on "caloric needs", and they must choose a vegetable side for their tray. What the fuck does "caloric needs" mean? I'm pretty sure it means "we're being cheap", since I'm sure they're not actually measuring body fat on these kids. And at any rate, you can see from my pictures is nothing at all wrong with my Mini Bear's BMI. Why should they have to shrink his meal portions?

Not only that, how would they be able to calorie count for all these kids when our school is grade inclusive - kids from pre-K to their senior year of high school attend here? I guess the seniors get two grapes per plate instead of one? Sheesh. I'd hate to do it; we're already spending a fortune on groceries, and hubby isn't back to work yet, but I may end up having to pack the kid a lunch if the prices go up any more.

That's all the mom ranting I plan to do for now. I promise. Overall it was a good day, so I really shouldn't gripe. It's just that the prices surprised me, since we already had a price increase last year. And the year before that.

Anyway, hubby and I went to eat at Johnny's for lunch, and when we got home, I worked on my books a little more. I almost have a new novel written, and Twilight's Edge is almost ready to send out for formatting. Not only that, I wrote a rough blurb yesterday for one of the upcoming vampire novels. OMG, I'm so excited about this particular vampire book. It's dark, moody, and so very sexy. The idea for it came from a dream I had a few years ago, but I never could seem to build a story around it. Then late last year the idea finally came to me, and I knew I had to write it. When I go to put this one on CreateSpace, I may have to add a little note about the dream at the back of the book - just as a little trivia thing. Origins and all that. We'll see. ;o)

With writing and putting the books together myself, I feel like I'm falling behind. I'm not getting stories out as fast as I used to, but I imagine what will happen is that I'll end up with two or three books releasing around the same time. I have stories coming out in two publisher published anthologies this fall. Plus, I'm trying to shove Twilight's Edge out the door, plus this vampire novel.

I'm not sure if releasing all that work at one time is a bad thing or a good thing, but I've decided not to stress over it, and just go with the flow. Sometimes I stress about the business and industry side of things so much it kills any desire I have to write, so I've had to let go of a lot of that.

Well, it's 2 a.m. now, so I better get to bed. It's gonna be tough to get up in a few hours as it is. {g} Happy dreams, everyone. I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. I ended up packing my daughter's lunch for years in elementary school and middle school because like you said, they cut the portions but raised the prices. I stayed with my daughter during breakfast because she was a shy kid and didn't want me leaving before I absolutely had to and I saw the breafasts they were trying to pull off and it was a joke. They were giving them 4 tiny waffles which came out to one regular sized waffle and a milk. Then I saw the lunches one day when I came for a surprise visit which I did all the time and saw these re-microwaved tiny cartons of one slice of cheese pizza or a tiny portion of spaghetti and milk. The portions were tiny and it was crazy. I started packing my kids lunch after that and making her eat breakfast at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless his heart I'd like to send him a copy of "Al The Green Rain Train" my newly published book send me your contact information? (The information will and shall not be posted) Thank you your Buddy "Al the Green Rain Train" (Alfred Guajardo)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.