Monday, August 13, 2012

New Orleans :: There And Back Again

I was sitting on the front steps of FQ Gems lapidary
on St. Philip Street - guarding our drinks. lol
We're back home from New Orleans. It's been a tiring, and emotional day. We woke up this morning around 7, and watched the Bruce Lee Story on cable while spending our remaining time hanging out at the hotel.

Around ten, we left for the airport, which was just across the street. We thought we'd be able to go in with Oldest, but we're not familiar with this particular airport. We got there and ended up having to drop him off right outside the terminal where security was set up. Basically, we pulled up at the curb, helped him with his luggage, hugged, and had we had to leave. Hubby was devastated, because it was so sudden. He's taking Oldest's leaving very hard, which makes it twice as hard on me. Not only dealing with Oldest leaving, but seeing Hubby so upset. :s

From the airport, we hit I-10 and drove back home. It's about a five hour drive to/from New Orleans, so we still had some daylight when we arrived back in our neck of the woods. We went straight over to my mom and dad's to pick up Mini Beast and SassiePup. Mini was playing Chuzzles on my dad's computer when we got there. He hugged us both and said he wanted to stay another two days with grandma. I said okay, because school is starting next week, and he won't have the chance to go over there much once all the homework jazz kicks off.

SassiePup, on the other hand, was ready to come home with me. She wouldn't let me out of her sight, bless her poor puppy dog heart. I bought mom a pretty cracked marble bracelet, and dad two arrowheads from the lapidary on St. Philip Street, and forgot to bring them in the house. Well, when I went back out to the car to get the souvenirs, SassiePup threw a fussy hussy doggy fit. Whoa, mama, she was determined to stay with me. She's been in my lap or under my feet ever since we got home.

But...more about the New Orleans trip and Oldest...

On Sunday, we walked the French Quarter with Oldest and took him to our favorite shops. We ended up going to Jackson Square, and the French Market, too, of course. He loved the lapidary, which was probably the highlight of the trip for him. We ended up having lunch at Willie's Chicken Shack on Bourbon Street. We think he had a pretty good time.


Oldest went with me to Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo, where I bought a new tarot deck. I picked up The Tarot of the Sweet Twilight. Such gorgeous artwork! The World Card is my favorite in the deck, I think. I shuffled through them while at the hotel in Kenner, but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet.

Oldest picked out a red fox tooth from the shop, and something else...I can't remember what. I'll have to ask him later. We added each other on Skype right before we left home, so once he's settled at his new duty station, we'll have a chance to chat.

The house feels strange tonight without the boys here. It will probably be a few days before I peek in Oldest's room, and put everything away in there that he may/may not have left out. I've made it a point to stay busy since I got home, so I'm not thinking about it so much. I have a few chapters to read, but I'm too tired to wrap my mind around it right now. I'm saving all that for in the morning.

In the meantime, I've holding the pup and having a glass of wine. I've checked Facebook and Twitter, and there's really nothing else to do tonight, but relax. That said, I think I'm going to go curl up on the couch and watch a few episodes of True Blood on DVD. I hope you all had a lovely weekend!

Until next time... ;*)

2 comments:

  1. I just can't even imagine. When my little brother went off to the Marines, it felt like that. Empty, strange, quiet. But your son... ugh. xoxo You're strong, Momma. I admire that. Chin up, for the fam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hugs, Isabelle. And thanks! :*)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^