Monday, July 30, 2012

Vintage Vampires :: Remaking Dance of the Damned

Holy smokes! On Saturday, I read that Director Katt Shea is filming yet another remake of Dance of the Damned.

I was dating the hubster the first time I saw this film. We rented the VHS from Movie Gallery in Ruston, and to this day, Dance of the Damned remains one of my favorite, lesser known 80s vampire movies, along with To Die For, To Die For 2, and LifeForce.

I thought the ending could have done with a more edgy, "love is death" twist, but no matter. The ending was a popular resolution for when the movie was first presented. It should be note, this was a movie really close to what we think of as an erotic paranormal romance these days. 

I still love this film! Not sure how I feel about another remake, but I'll give it a fair chance. Dance of the Damned was remade in the 90s?/early 2000s? as To Sleep With A Vampire. It was okay, but I didn't care for that one as much as Dance of the Damned, which was more angsty and character driven. Anyway, I hope the new movie is everything the director wants it to be. Maybe the third time's the charm, and the director will finally be happy with her vision of the story and consider it told. 

If the director ever decides to go looking for more erotic vampire material apart from Dance of the Damned, a story based around a sexually charged human and vampire relationship....oh, I don't know, maybe she'll consider a film based on Wicked Obsession? *cough, cough, nudge, nudge* ;o) LOL!

Seriously, though, Dance of the Damned is an awesome vintage vampire tale. It does look a bit dated now, which is to be expected from a 20+ year old movie. Clothes and hairstyles go in and out of fashion, and all that. *shrugs* The characters themselves are very contemporary and memorable, and truthfully, the heroine/antagonist are perfect for each other. In other words: great chemistry. That's what I remember most about the film. Le sigh.

I wish the movie was available on DVD, but presently it has been retired to the VHS movie dust bins of Amazon.There could be a clip or two of the film on youtube, but I don't know for sure. I haven't checked. Regardless, I would love to see this movie again. Maybe the director will re-release the 80s version of the film direct to DVD when the new movie comes out? I certainly hope so!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting news. I don't think I've seen that old movie. Would be interested in seeing the re-vamped version though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they'd put the 80s version on DVD. All I've seen are bootleg copies, and I refuse to buy them. :/

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^