Monday, July 02, 2012

Monday: Printable Self-Editing Log


Welcome to Monday! I looked at the calendar this morning and realized I have a lot of writing ground to cover in July. Instead of feeling overwhelmed by it all, I'm going to take it one day at a time, one project at a time, and work my way through the stack. What gets finished, gets finished. What doesn't get finished will be a priority in August. It's as simple as that.

Right now I'm focused on getting a couple of projects wrapped up and out the door. The Twilight's Edge collection is one of those projects. I'm writing the last story to go in that book, but there is still so much to be done on the other side of writing it. Revising, re-revising, compiling everything into one document, formatting... The list goes on.

The other project is a short story I finished yesterday. I need to revise it, reformat it, and send it out. That one is on a very tight deadline, so it has to go out in the next couple of days.

Since I've been doing so much writing and revising lately, I've found it necessary to create a self-editing log to keep track of characters, places, spellings, and important information. I'm definitely going to need this log while working on these latest Werekind Series projects. My writing and habits have changed a lot since I started the series, and I admit, I never kept a book by book log. In fact, it's something I only started doing recently.

Keeping a log is something I learned in the editing class I took through La Tech a few months ago. Since I'm juggling so many pre-existing characters in the Werekind Series books, I figure this is a good way to put the process to the test. I've made the blank log sheet available for free on my website, and on my Scribd page. Just head over there and download a copy for yourself.

The self-editing log is very easy to use. If you have a character named Alganon, or whatever, you'd put his name as you want it to appear throughout your book in the box marked A. That way, any time you might not remember whether his name was spelled Alganon with one N, or Algannon with two N's, you can just look at your log sheet and there it is. Of course, you can draw one of these out on a piece of paper every time you start a new project, but...eh, I'd rather just click and print. Anyway, using the log is supposed to help with consistency in your writing and all that. ;o)

It's already after 10 a.m., so I better get on with the writerly stuff. I hope you all have a productive, stress-free day. Happy writing! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^