Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Cora's Picks :: The Witch Thief by Lori Devoti


In the past week, the Ace of Cups has come up as my daily card twice, so I'm going to make that card my picture for today. I believe the card shown is from the standard Rider Waite deck.

This morning was quite productive. I woke up a little early and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and wrote for a while before I had to get Mini off to school. We have eight days left of the school year, y'all. Woot! I'm counting 'em. Oh, you better believe it.

Anyway, I got about 1k words off that first stretch of writing; then, I wrote a little on a different project before switching over to revisions. Overall, I've put about 2k words down on paper today, and I've cleaned up two scenes. I'm happy with that.

Now, I have to move on to a class assignment, which is what I'll be doing probably for the rest of the afternoon. I'll be free for the rest of the day when I'm finished, though, so there's some incentive.

Time for a subject change... It's been a while, but I have another "Cora's Picks" book to chat about. I recently read a Harlequin Nocturne - The Witch Thief by Lori Devoti.

Her books always seem to grab me for some reason. Even if I don't realize I'm buying a Lori Devoti book, I'm always drawn to them on the shelf. I'll later get home and that's when I realize I've bought another one of her books, which is exactly what happened when I bought The Witch Thief.

First, let me say that The Witch Thief is a lovers reunited story, which is my very favorite romance trope. I will buy a lovers reunited story in almost any sub-genre of romance. I love the idea of making a relationship work the second time around.

This book focuses on dragon shapeshifters, which is kinda cool; and there are also dwarves in this book. So, we kind of have a slipstream novel going on here, a combo of romance/fantasy/paranormal.

I won't give away too much about the finer points of the book, but I will say that I really liked this one. It took some warming up to the heroine, but she fit the story, she was a consistent character, and that works for me.  The basics setup of the book is this: the heroine steals an "enchanted" cup from the dragon's treasure chamber, and that results in a whole lot of havoc.

Why did I like this book so much?  Because this is the very first Nocturne I've read where I honestly didn't know how it was going to end. There were lots of turning points and reversals in the second half of the book. It was very well done. I do wish there had been more of a denouement, because the story ends a little abruptly, albeit on a high note. (I wanted to spend more time with the characters!) This makes me wonder if we'll be seeing these characters again in a future Nocturne - maybe a cameo appearance. At any rate, this is my latest pick. The Witch Thief is a wonderful romance story that will keep you guessing to the very end. I highly recommend it!

You can buy a copy of The Witch Thief here: http://www.harlequin.com/storeitem.html?iid=25807

That's all for now. I have to get back to work. I have probably an hour or so before Mini gets home. Lots to do, so little time. Ain't that just the way. ;o) Happy Tuesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^