Monday, May 07, 2012

The Business of Being Busy

Happy Monday, everyone! I'm having a lovely day so far, and I hope you are too.

Let's see. What's going on with me... Well, things are coming together for the contest I'm organizing for my RWA chapter. My LA Tech class is going very well, and I'm slowly but surely making progress with my fantasy romance novel. I think I've finally worked out all the snags with the beginning scenes, and I'm about ready to move forward with it.

Also, I've started reformatting one of the stories that is going to appear in Twilight's Edge, which I'll be releasing (hopefully) in June through GrrlX Publishing.

When I pulled the leading story from the old anthology it was in, the copy and paste saved all the old margins and styles, and Word wouldn't let me ditch them. I went rounds with it, and finally, I had to strip all the formatting out of the document and start from scratch. I purposely put XX's where the new paragraphs and page breaks needed to be, so now I have to back through this huge, single block of text that is probably forty pages long, and manually recreate the paragraphs and returns. Talk about a big ol' pain in the booty!

Another thing I noticed when reading through this story, which was very well received when it came out in 2007 or 2008, it is not up to my current standard of writing. This really surprised me (and excited me a little), because I didn't realize my writing had matured that much. With this novella, I could see obvious mistakes I had made, even though the book had been edited.

I'm going to thoroughly revise this story before I release the collection. It's still a very good story, and I don't intend to change the content much beyond what it was, but I see ways to clean it up and make the writing stronger. So, I'm going to do that. When this new collection comes out, it will have a revised, expanded version of At the Edge of Twilight in there.

On top of everything else, I'm currently involved in a five week workshop on strengthening the emotional arc of your story. I'm using a novella I wrote a few weeks ago as my dissection piece. I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I hope by the end of the class, I have a story that is ready for submission - or at least, close to it. We'll see.

Mini's bus will be here any minute, so I'm going to close for now. It's going to be a busy week for me, and we're talking about taking that Biloxi trip again this weekend. Too, Dad's birthday and Mother's Day is this week. If nothing else, it should be interesting. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^