Sunday, March 04, 2012

Home From Conference

I'm back home from the Written in the Stars conference, tired but inspired. We had an awesome workshop track this year, and an impressive line up of speakers, agents, and editors. The Nola Stars conference coordinators outdid themselves.

My favorite workshop/event was Lori Wilde's editor chat session. Lori Wilde is a NYT best selling author of 60-something books, and Entangled Publishing's editor for the new Indulgence line. There were enough of us in attendance to fill one of the large, round dining tables, so we all pulled up chairs and had a very down-to-earth business chat about Entangled Publishing, and writing contemporary category romance. I was very impressed with the information that came from that session.

I didn't have anything to pitch to Lori, unfortunately. I had signed up for the conference way back in November, before she had been added to the list of attending editors, but I learned a lot about the company and like I said...it was an impressive session.

At the award's dinner, I received a certificate of achievement for my sale last year, and a Rising Star Award trophy for selling my first full length novel, Wicked Obsession. That's the trophy and certificate in the picture. Ooh, shiny! ;*)

I was already emotional from the awards ceremony, when Ms. Sally Hamer gave a speech in memory of Ms. Katie Sue Morgan, one of our members who passed away recently. I cried a bit at the dinner, and again on the drive home - it was very sad not getting to see Ms. Sue. She was such a sweet lady. From the moment I joined Nola Stars...what's it been, three years now? Four?...she made me feel welcome. To me Ms. Sue always seemed like the ambassador of the Nola Stars group. I kept expecting to turn a corner in the hotel and see her there. Make no doubt, her presence was definitely missed.

I did pitch this year. I got two partial requests from editors during the pitch sessions, and received some valuable advice from the agent I pitched to. Then, at the evening book signing, I won Vannetta Chapman's lovely Amish basket from the raffle drawings.

Vannetta Chapman is such an interesting person. I sat at her table during the awards luncheon, and she entertained us all with stories about her pets. ^_^

You can't tell from the picture above, but the basket I won at the raffle has signed books, a photograph, a thimble, Amish coasters, and a gorgeous hand-stitched table runner in it. I can't tell y'all how badly I needed that table runner! I'm still using the snowman table runner I put out at Christmas this past year. I haven't had anything to replace it with. So, yes, indeed, down the with snowmen. I will be putting out that new table runner asap.

Now that I'm back home, I have to get the laundry done, and prepare to get Mini off to school tomorrow. I'm also attending a new writing craft workshop starting tomorrow at Savvy Authors, so I'm going to need to get my head on straight before tackling a new class.

I think I'm going to have a nap before I get too involved with anything I need to do around the house. So, that's all for the moment. I hope you've all had a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Cora, so glad to meet you at the conference. What fun that you won my rffle bsket. The table runner was made by a young Amish woman on a treadle sewing machine. she lives in Sugar creek, OH. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice meeting you, Vannetta. I'm glad we had a chance to chat. That's fascinating about the table runner - which is just lovely, by the way. I adore anything patchwork. :) Happy wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about Mrs. Sue, but I betcha she was with ya'll in spirit. ((hugs))

    And oh glory girl! Two requests for partials! That is awesome. So proud of you sugar. You've worked damn hard for this and it shows! Shiny new award too. If I come to visit, can I touch it? Please? I may never get a neat award, since I'm not a card carrying RWA member. Glad you are back and into the swing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^