Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day By Day : One Word At A Time

It's after 11pm. Yikes. We're still adjusting to the time change. I don't think Mini has gone to bed on time once since we rolled the clocks forward. Too, I've been staying up much later than I'm used to, and I've got to scale it back, because I'm not getting enough sleep. I need at least four hours to function the next day. Any less than that, it triggers my bitch factor, like, fierce.

I took a long nap today to try and get a few extra zzz's, but I dreamed all kinds of crazy stuff, so when I woke up, I didn't really feel all that rested. The goal tonight is to make it to bed before 1a.m. I'll be thrilled if I can hit it somewhere around the 12:30 mark.

Anyway, I finished the novella I started before conference. It's roughly 16k. I printed it earlier today, and have been reading through it, making notes, etc. I can see right away it needs more dialogue, and more internal conflict. I like the characters, though, and while the scenario is simple, it makes for a good romantic setup without being cliche.

I started to add some historical detail to it, and ended up not going that route. I'd have to do way more research than I have time for. Some of the costuming, etc, I wrote into the draft wasn't very accurate, so I cut it out and reworked those scenes. At any rate, this story is probably gonna expand once I start revising. As long as it stays below the 25k mark, I'll be okay with it.

I have a lot of work on my plate this year. I want to wrap up all my outlying series books, and I still need to get my requested chapters out of the way. I'm still nitpicking over them, but I'm trying to be patient with myself, and with how I write. I always want to push my chapters and proposals out the door quickly, but I'm not doing that this time. I would rather tweak them a little longer than I'd hoped and send them off feeling more confident about it, than rush them out the door and wish I could change something, or worry that the material is not as good as I could've made it. So, until then, I'll keep plugging away.

Tomorrow I'm taking a drive to visit a friend in the hospital. Hubby and I have been worried about her. She just lost a kidney to stage 2 renal cell carcinoma. So, I'm taking her some flowers, and gonna pop in her hospital room to see how she's doing. I haven't seen her in a while, but she was one of the gals I was closest to in high school. To give it some perspective, she baby sat for my Oldest bratling a time or two, and changed a few of his diapers. Oldest will be 21 in August. So me and gal pal have known each other a long time.

So there you have it...everything I've been up to, plus the grand plan for tomorrow. I probably won't get any writing/revising done until late tomorrow evening, but I'm okay with that. One day/one word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^