Tuesday, February 21, 2012

New Project : Information Gathering

Hubby is home today for Mardi Gras, and Mini is still out of school for winter break. That being the case, I thought it would be fun to celebrate. I bought a cream cheese king cake at the bakery yesterday, and we had a home-style king cake party on the fly.

Mini was really excited to see the cake and the beads. Of course, hubby and I kinda rigged the whole baby Jesus in the cake so Mini would get that slice. ;o) He was thrilled to find the baby. Here's wishing my little bear a year of good luck.

Mini's king cake
baby 
We're going out to lunch today, and afterward, the guys will probably buy a DVD to watch, or some such thing. I have to take back a couple of library books and pay bills, then I'll be back home to write my daily quota.

Right now, I've got the first chapter of my next book written, and I'd like to sit down this afternoon and write a tentative ending just to get a feel of where I'm going with the story.

I'm still fiddling with characters and working to give them a history and enough internal/emotional issues to clash over to sustain a 55k short contemporary. That seems to be the one element I'm missing - that deep character connection. I read two new craft books over the weekend - I'll post about them later this week - and both seem to say that I'm struggling to get my story off the ground because I haven't researched the characters enough.

After yesterday's "character session", where I worked on nothing but my heroine, I think the books are probably right. While working on her characterization, I uncovered all these ideas that could potentially go into my story. Stuff that could work toward the plot, as well as work in building her relationship with the hero. I plan to work on my hero in the same way, and see where it takes me.

I also want to do setting sheets before I get too involved in the writing process. I did that on Wicked Obsession and it saved me a lot of time and effort in the research department. At any rate, once I have enough information gathered to carry me from beginning to end, I hope to sit down and write the draft. We'll see how it goes.

One more thing before I close... Not this Saturday, but the next (March 2-3), the Written In the Stars conference will be going on in Shreveport. It's hosted by the Nola Stars chapter of the RWA. (My local chapter). I'll be there, and hope to have pictures to share when I'm back home again. If you're at the conference, be sure to flag me down to say hi. I can be very chatty, so consider that fair warning. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.