Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday - With Books


Hurray for Friday! I'm working on a new book, but I'm still finding my way with it so there isn't much to talk about yet. Over the past few days, I've read countless blog articles, web pages, and writing tip pages while looking up advice to raise the stakes in a story. I'm also looking at ways to beef up the characterization so the deeper, internal issues with the hero and the heroine create sustainable conflict to last the length of a category book.

I'm mostly reading fiction novels in the line I'm looking to target, but I tell ya...I'm plowing through those books. I've read close to fourteen novels over all in the past two weeks. That isn't counting the non-fiction, craft-related books I've also picked my way through when I've had a free moment. My brain is fairly overloaded with new info, and I'm still trying to process it all. I feel like I'm this close to figuring out what the secret ingredient is that I'm missing to truly understand how to put a category romance together. One by one the pieces are falling into place.

Last night I read The Tycoon's Pregnant Mistress by Maya Banks. I've read a lot of reviews talking smack about that particular book, but I gotta say - I loved it. It was a relatively simple story, but it kept me glued to the pages. I had to know what was going to happen next. Yes, some of the events were larger than life, and that's fine by me. I had to know what was going to happen when the heroine got her memory back. I'm happy to report I wasn't disappointed at all. It's definitely a guilty pleasure book I wouldn't hesitate to read again.

Books at the top of my TBR list:

I'll be dissecting the stories while reading them. If there is one in the group that really stands out to me, I'll post about it here on the blog. That's all for now. I've been trying to get this post up since about, oh, 10 a.m.? ;o) I hope you all have a happy weekend!

4 comments:

  1. http://writingthroughmyeyes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I bought Bed of Lies, too. Haven't had the time to read it yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cass, you'll have to let me know what you think once you read it. I'm reading through Bed of Lines today.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.