Thursday, February 09, 2012

Dreams and Internal Conflicts


Right before I woke up this morning, I had a crazy dream that was very nerve wracking and meticulous. I kept having to go through this checkpoint to see if hubby had arrived at a layover station. I guess we were traveling and got separated, I'm not really sure, but for whatever reason, due to regulations, I guess, I couldn't stay in the layover station for more than a few minutes at a time.

That being the case, I kept walking back and forth down this white corridor with plexi-glass inner doors. Each plexi-glass door required a card to get through it. At the end of the main corridor, there was a plex-glass door, and immediately on the other side of it, there was a hallway to the left, and a doorway to the right. The door was white with no handle or knob of any kind, and there were two lights above the door - one red and one green.  Each time I passed through this section of the building, I would tense up because of these red and green lights above the door - even though I wasn't planning to go through it. I had to go down the corridor on the left.

At one point in the dream I walked into the layover station, which was a shabby white lobby with flecked tile  floors, and wrap-around windows. It looked sort of like a hospital waiting room, only no TV and no other people. I had been in the room many times before, but this time when I entered, the chairs were turned over, and it looked like there had been a scuffle. I stopped in the doorway, and this chilling feeling came over me a split second before a shrill alarm went off. I realized the facility was under some kind of attack, although I'm not sure what kind of attack. I only knew it was a life or death matter. I turned and ran back down the corridor to the white door with no knob. I could tell you had to push it open to get outside. Only when I reached the door and pushed it, the red light came on, and a second alarm sounded. I froze in panic, then shook it off and turned to use my key card in the plexi-glass door so I could enter the main hallway and leave through the front entrance; however, the door wouldn't open for me. Scared as I was, I would either have to find a way to go through the white door with the two lights above it, or stay inside and weather the attack.

I woke up at this point with a lingering sense of fear and a terrible headache. There was also this feeling of "no going back", which I think symbolizes the subconscious theme of the nightmare. I don't know what I can't go back from or why, but that headache stuck with me for most of the day.

Despite the hours long headache, I still managed to have a good day, and get a few things done. First things first, I finished reading Writing Romance Novels for Dummies by Leslie J. Wainger. Whoa, boy, what a book! I initially bought it on Kindle, but I've since ordered a print copy for my writing keeper shelf. If you're struggling with conflict of any kind, this is a very helpful book to have. Ms. Wainger talks about various types of conflict and how to apply them to your romance novel. The book is full of many other helpful and useful nuggets of craft advice, but the thorough coverage of conflict sold me. I imagine I'll be referring to this book for some time to come.

I'm currently reading A Cowboy Comes Home by Barbara Dunlop. I haven't gotten very far in it yet. Right after cracking open the book, I had to put it down to take care of a few things. I'll post more about that book once I've had a chance to read it.

I read primarily because I enjoy it, of course, but lately I've been studying every book I read very closely. I'm looking to identify the wedge that keeps the hero and heroine apart. I'm also looking to name the hero and heroine's hot button issues, and as a bonus, the overall theme of the story. I feel like I'll be better able to explore emotion in my books once I learn this. Anyway, this is my theory. Certainly no harm can come from studying it, ya know? Before the year is out, I'm going to put that theory to the test.

That's all for now. I just realized it's almost 9pm. I need to get the Mini Bear to bed. Hang in there, everyone. Tomorrow's Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^