Sunday, January 22, 2012

Library Books Du Jour


No new posts since last Thursday. Sorry about that. I've been catching up on work, and doing little odds and ends that needed taken care of before the conference rush starts. I sent off the erotica short story around 1:30 this morning, so I'm currently caught up with all the projects I needed to complete by the end of this month.

I met up with a fell writer friend this past Friday at the local library. We used to ride to the RWA meetings together, but I haven't seen her in a few months. I helped her with her synopsis. Basically, I showed her how to condense and organize it chapter by chapter so it would be easier to write. Also, she wanted to read the first few pages of one of the stories I have out on submission right now. It was a good visit, and since she's living in town, we talked about getting together again soon, possibly for timed writings and such.

While at the library I checked out several writing books that must be new to the catalog. I've never seen them up there, anyway. I checked out You Can Write a Romance, by Rita Clay Estrada and Rita Gallagher. I read the whole book Friday afternoon. It's only about 120 pages cover to cover. There are some good sections in there, such as the how they define a romance, and how to layer in backstory. I probably wouldn't buy this book for my keeper shelf, though, since I have a lot of this information in other books I already own.

I also checked out Write Tight, Say Exactly What You Mean with Precision and Power, by William Brohaugh. I'm currently reading this one. It's supposed to teach you how to cut down on wordiness, trim the writing "flab" from your projects, and whatnot. It looks like an in depth book on the subject, so I've got this one marked as a possible purchase later on.

The final book I checked out is called Hooked, write fiction that grabs readers at page one and never lets them go, by Les Edgerton. I picked this one up because the back of the book claims to help you develop your inciting incident, create a story-worthy problem for your characters, and gives you a run down on scene length and how to manipulate transitions. Transitions are a big pain in the rump, if you ask me. So that one is a plus. I can't wait to read this one, and will post more about it once I've had time to read it cover to cover.

And...one more book, this one I bought while in Bossier last week, and it's just for recreational fun reading. I picked up a copy of Hot as Sin by Bella Andre. Good lord, what a sexy cover! I'm looking forward to reading this one. I admit, I've did a sneak read, and read through the first chapter. But alas...the library books. I have to read those first because they've got to go back by the 3rd.

For the next week or so, I'll be researching, reading, brainstorming, and relaxing. It's probably going to be the only real break I get between now and conference time, so I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^