Friday, January 06, 2012

Friday Inspiration

Hurray for Friday! It couldn't have come at a better time. Hubby is home, snoozing on the couch. He has been sick for the past week, and it's finally caught up with Oldest and me. Oldest came to me yesterday afternoon and informed me he's not feeling well. Then last night, I woke up with the worst sore throat I've had in probably two years. Mini is the only one of us who hasn't come down sick, and I'm hoping it stays that way.

I made a doctor appointment this morning, but can't get in to see anyone until Tuesday. I'm going to work on polishing the erotica story that's due this month, and leave everything else until I'm feeling better. I can tell already I'll probably spend most the weekend curled up on the couch with a book or sleeping. It's just one of those things.

Since I'm not feeling very writerly at the moment, I thought I'd share some of the stuff inspiring me right now. I like the dirty, sweaty, glittery-glam look of Marilyn Minter's work. Although I believe she currently lives in NYC, Ms. Minter is from Shreveport, so that makes me love her as an artist even more. If I could have anyone's work decorate my office, it would be hers.

I like the colors, the glitter, the freckles, and the wetness of each of these photos. I believe the picture below the sparkly one with the fuchsia eye shadow is from a MAC makeup campaign, but I could be wrong about that. I found out too late that she did a collection for them, and sadly missed out on buying any pigments based on her work. Boohoo.

Just for the sake of saying so... How awesome would it be to have one of these delicious pictures for an erotica book cover? The pearls as a cover would be to die for!

I'm also currently inspired by 80s epic women's fiction with romantic elements such as Lace. I watched the television series with my mother back in the day, and I also read the book by Shirley Conran. It's one of those grandeur epics that scream dream big or go home. I kind of feel like that's an appropriate mantra for 2012. I don't know why it feels that way, but it does.

Hm...what else? Oh, yes. I'm also inspired lately by Tanith Lee's Hunting the Shadows. Lots of dreamy, dark prose in that one. Her work is so different from everyone else's. Truly wonderful stuff.

So that's it for now. I'm about to settle in and drink a cup of peppermint tea. In about an hour, I have to go pick up Mini from school, so I'm putting off taking more cold meds. I need to be alert. I hate driving when I feel like this, but I'm cool with it. We're going into the weekend, after all. And besides, it's not really about me. Poor Mini. Who the heck likes to ride the bus, yanno?
✥ Happy Friday, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.