Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Changes. Goodbyes. Hugs.


It's after midnight. I didn't intend to stay up this late, but I've been rushing around doing last minute piddly things and tying up loose ends as best as I'm able. Tuesday is Oldest's last day at home with us. His recruiter is coming to pick him up toward the afternoon.

I should have Mini back home just in time to tell his big bubba goodbye. He's been very worried about him going off to basic, and I decided to send Mini on to school so he isn't crying all day, and jumping every time he hears a car drive by.

Yesterday, my parents came over to say their last goodbyes and gave Oldest lots of hugs. It was very emotional. They didn't stay long. Just spent a few minutes telling Oldest they love him, and shed a ton of tears, and then mom approached me in the living room and said they were going to go on home - they didn't want to get Mini started crying. I told Mom I'd call sometime in the afternoon to let her and Dad know when Oldest takes off.

On Wednesday, he'll be leaving meps and flying out to basic training. We're going to drive up to Shreveport to see him get re-sworn in, and give him a few hugs before he's off to the airport. I'm anxious, worried, nervy, sick to my stomach, thrilled for him, happy he's setting out to chase his dreams. There's this endless mix of emotions going on - and pride. I'm so very proud of my baby boy. Boo hoo. I'm going to miss him.

To keep the blues away, I'll probably spend extra time with Mini, and focus on writing. Conference is coming up soon, so I guess I'll have an extra excuse to focus on my getting my pitch projects together. My daily schedule is going to be very different with the big boy off doing his own thing. It's going to mean big changes here at home, and a lot more alone time for me - something I'm not at all used to.

On a lighter note, I finished the short erotica story yesterday. Or was it the day before? It all blends. Anyway, it's finished, and in pretty good shape. I need to read through it, make sure all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed, and it will be ready to send off to the editor.

That's all for now. I have to get the clothes folded and go on to bed. I have to be up in a few hours to get Mini ready for school. Happy dreams, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, sad but good, too. Time for him to stretch his wings!I hope he learns lots of great things.

    My oldest is in college now, and my twins start college next fall. Yikes. My oldest is in town but in the dorms so not around too much, and my twins are thinking of out of town/out of state schools--it will be so odd to have the house so empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melisse. Yes, it's such an odd feeling - the house being so empty. Especially during the day. Oldest is in Illinois now. It wasn't easy seeing him leave the nest, and hubby and I joked that we have a half-case of empty nest syndrome. But I know this is for the best. He's gonna learn a lot while he's there. And I imagine he's going to love all the traveling he gets to do. :*)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^