Thursday, December 01, 2011

Feeling December-ish

Holy cow, it's December 1st!  Only 30 more days of 2011. Can you believe it? I can't say I'm sad to see it go. This has been a very tough year for my family, and I'm ready for a fresh start. Only in the last few weeks have things started to feel more cozy and back to normal, although it's a bit difficult on hubster when these holidays hit. This will be the first Christmas without his dad, and it feels very strange knowing he won't be around to chat with. And knowing we won't receive a Christmas card from him. It's not pleasant to think about, and I'm expecting the emotional roller coaster to intensify as we near the actual holiday. One way or another, we'll make it through. We always do.


SassiePup is stretched out across my lap snoozing this morning. It's kinda cold out, so she's in a super snuggly mood. Earlier, while Mini was waiting for the bus, she desperately wanted to stand at the door and look outside, but within two minutes of standing in the doorway she was shivering to bits. Silly girl. I ended up toting her around to help keep her warm. I've tried to explain to her this behavior isn't conductive to getting revisions completed, but I don't think she cares. Go figure.


Speaking of revisions, I had an awesome, squee-worthy moment late last night. I have about a third of the story cleaned up, and when I went back and reread parts of it, I came across this one scene that gave me chills. It wasn't because the scene was super hot, or scary, or whatever, it's because I noticed a change in my own writing. This scene came across as more sophisticated than anything I've written up to this point, and that thrilled me to no end. Maybe I'm finally breaking out of this plateau and growing as a writer. Baby steps, yo. I'll take it!

I'm about to grab my Kindle and snuggle on the couch with SassiePup for a while. At least until my coffee kicks in. Then, it'a back to revisions on this story.  I've got some tough pages coming up, so I need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed to deal with it.

That's all for now. I hope your Thursday is a pleasant one. Oh, and if you're a Neopets player - don't forget: the Advent calendar opens today! ;o)

2 comments:

  1. Best luck to you as you work on revisions. It's great when you grow enough in your writing to actually see it. Of course, I've been on bit of a plateau myself lately. With year's end, there's hope for next year. That's the great thing about writing-you can also get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ellison. And that's so true - the great thing about writing is that we can get better. I like that.

    I have a lot of hope for next year, writerly wise. Just going to keep jotting words down and see if something sticks. :0)

    And oh yeah, the writing plateaus. I get stuck for really long stretches of time. I'll take workshops or whatever, but it could be a year before some of the information really sticks with me. It's frustrating at times, because I realize I'm plateauing, but then I have to remember there's no need to rush. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.