Monday, November 21, 2011

Weekend Workshop Recap

You can click on my pictures to make them larger.

On Sunday, I gave a NaNoWriMo workshop in Second Life at Awen. The topic was on how to kick start a story when it has stalled. I focused on the elements of building a very basic story, then explained how to use g/m/c and character responses to dig your story out of a rut. Very helpful stuff to know if you're on a deadline. 

Anyway, the workshop went very well, except that my voice chat wasn't working, so I had to type everything as text chat. That little glitch turned a one hour workshop into a two hour workshop, but no one complained, everyone stayed, and since that's the case, I'm calling it a success.

One of the notices was sent out with the wrong time for the workshop, and so a handful of people teleported in as we were closing shop. I didn't want to disappoint anyone, so I've agreed to do the workshop again sometime after Thanksgiving, although it won't be as NaNo-relevant. Still, there's a lot of practical information to glean from it, so we'll see what happens.
Settling in for the NaNo workshop.

Today was the first day of Mini's Thanksgiving vacation. He was thrilled that he didn't have to go to school this morning. I got up bright and early and made breakfast for him, then promptly went back to bed. About an hour or so later, I got up and checked emails and such, then told Oldest to get his stuff together so I could drive him to the library. Once Mini and I made it back home from dropping off big brat, we settled in to play a few rounds of Don't Break the Ice.

I'm very happy to report that I didn't get my tail handed to me this time. For the past few weeks, anytime I play a board game with Mini he brutally smokes me. Like Tiki Topple, for instance. I've one a single game of Tiki Topple since we bought that game. One. So, in the spirit of teasing Mini to pieces, after I won three games of Don't Break the Ice, I told him I'm officially reclaiming my in-house game champion title. Which will probably only last until our next game of CandyLand later on this week. But hey, you take have to take what you can get while it lasts in our family. ;o)

After board games, Mini and I watched Alvin and The Chipmunks the Squeakuel...or however you spell it. We probably watched thirty minutes of it, and tickle fought through the other hour and a half. Sassie Bee pup even got in on the action.

Around 2 o'clock we went to pick up Oldest from his library adventures, and while it's been a full day, my "work day" will start in about an hour. After dinner, and once things have settled down. I'll be working on revisions again. I added a new scene yesterday afternoon, and now I need to poke through a few pages and clean them up. This one is on the road to being finished. Soon.

I guess I need to take the Sassie pup for a walk. She's grrr'ing at me and doing the doggy Riverdance. That's all for now. Happy Monday!

6 comments:

  1. The doggie Riverdance... lol! So happy your workshop went well, Cora, and what a cool what to have one! Hope you and yours have a wonderful, yummy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a Happpy Thanksgiving, Cora! I don't always comment, but your posts always inspire me to put BUTT IN CHAIR and write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Nikki! Yes, Sassie puts on a fancy doggie Riverdance.

    This isn't Sassie, but if you've never seen it...the Official Riverdance dog. ^_^

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBpnoffIkY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, Jen! I'm glad you like the blog. Keep on writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^