Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Back In The Trenches


Oh, hi, November. How did you sneak in here?  I woke up this morning thinking - we are weeks away from Thanksgiving. Then a few more weeks away from Christmas. Jeez, it feels like only yesterday it was August. Time is slipping through my fingers at an alarming rate.

Officially, I will not be doing NaNoWriMo this year. I have two "completed" projects to revise, and one more to write and polish for submission by the end of the year. ALL of this needs (ideally) to be completed by late February. Yikes.

In March, I'll be pitching the September Experiment at conference. The short and polish is due at the end of January. And the shivers story had damn well be out of her before either of those other projects. Because...well, it just needs to be. I don't like sitting on a novella for that long.

Taking all this into consideration, I dove back into the trenches yesterday with the Shivers story. I need a title for that thing, stat. I've learned so much from the Manuscript Makeover book, I'm kind of excited to be working on the Shivers again...but I'm also kind of dreading it.

The book is patchy at best, and needs a few more scenes tossed in to make it whole. I'm using this as my Dr. Frankenstein book. I'm going to cut it apart, stuff it full of god only knows what, then sew it back together and try to breathe life into it using all the new things I've learned over the past two months. If this operation is successful...or even if it isn't...I'm going to take away from the process whatever I can, because the next one up is the September Experiment manuscript and that's a full length novel. Which for all Frankenstein-ing purposes could very well mean it will be hellish to revise it. I'm intimidated, I admit, but there's no better way to learn than by doing. At least, that's what my mother tells me.

Onward to books... I'm now reading Zen in the Art of Writing, Releasing the Creative Genius Within You, by Ray Bradbury. I should be finished with this one soon. After this one, a fiction book. I've got Afternoon Delight {erotica for couples} edited by Alison Tyler next up on my TBR stack. I have to admit, I've cheated. I've already read a few of the stories in the Alison Tyler book, but then I had to get back to work. ;o)

So there's my current to do list laid out for me. I still need to get that review up for the Halloween Tarot deck. I meant to do that yesterday, but once again, time got away from me. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something else, but I can't imagine what, so I'm going to escape while I can. <g> I have to go pick up Mini from school in a little while, and I need to hop in the shower before I go.

Oh! One last thing... (yep, forgot something, alright) I'll be giving a NaNoWriMo workshop on November 17th in Second Life. The workshop is free, and will cover how to work with a story that has stalled. That same day, my critique partner Cassandra Curtis will be giving a workshop on Characterization.

If you're inworld, and would like to attend, send a message to Bryn Forsythe, Cassandra Sharktooth, or Cora Waverider for more information. I'll also be posting more information here, on my blog, as we get closer to the event date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^