Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Writerly Wednesday

I have a couple of writerly things to talk about, so I thought I'd make an entire post about it. First things first...Last night I started reading Manuscript Makeover: Revision Techniques No Fiction Writer Can Afford to Ignore by Elizabeth Lyon. I bought the book from Amazon after a recommendation from a friend, and I gotta say - so far, so good!

I like the way the book is organized, and honestly, this one couldn't have arrived at a better time. I have two manuscripts awaiting revisions on my desk, and I have another short project to write by the end of the year. I'll post my opinion on Manuscript Makeover once I've had a chance to read it from cover to cover. <rubs hands together>

I'll probably be applying the teachings in this book to my Shivers manuscript while reading my way through it. Yeah, I'm half crazy like that. <g> When thumbing through the book last night, I read a few sections, and have already uncovered a few gold nuggets of wisdom...which is awesomeness. I'm definitely looking forward to this book.

On to other writerly news...coming up on October 25th, Sable Grey, author, cover artist, and co-owner of Cobblestone Press, will be speaking at a free chat about designing book covers over at Savvy Authors.

I can vouch for Sable's talent - she does some amazing covers. She did several of my Cobblestone Press covers, including Bonding Experience and Wicked Obsession. I request her as my artist whenever possible. She knows her stuff! So, if you're interested in learning more about designing book covers, visual branding, and other tips, be sure to register for her chat session. For basic and premium members, the chat is free! You can find out more about the event here: http://www.savvyauthors.com/vb/showevent.php?eventid=1290

NaNoWriMo will be kicking off on November 1st. The website link posted here may not work right away when you click it. The last time I checked the site, they were doing maintenance for the upcoming event. You can still Google NaNoWriMo for the organization's primary links.

I won't be participating in NaNo this year due to prior commitments, but Cassandra Curtis and I will be giving a writer's workshop with a focus on tips to help you along the path to reaching your 50k NaNoWriMo project goal. The workshop will take place in Second Life on November 17th. More information about the workshop, including SLurls, is forthcoming.

Anyway, that's all the business-y news I have for now. On a lighter note, when I came home from picking up Mini from school this afternoon, I noticed the fig tree out front is loaded with ripe figs. Wow! It seems like that happened over night. Before the sun goes down I have to get out there and harvest the tree - yum, yum!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^