Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Studying Subtext

Writing Subtext, What Lies
Beneath, by Linda Seger
It's a lovely Tuesday morning, and the hubby is home with me today. The poor guy hurt his back at work yesterday, so he's hobbling around the house slathered in Aspercreme.

I put Mini in the bus about an hour ago, and just got caught up on the posts at the writer's workshop I've been attending online this week. I'm about to break out the wip and do a bit of writing on the Shivers story. I'm about a third of the way through it at this point.

I just started reading a new craft book today, too. Well, actually last night I read a few pages in it. I picked this one up at Books A Million online after joining the current writing workshop I'm enrolled in, and it arrived yesterday afternoon. The book wasn't recommended to me by the workshop or anything, but I went on a search specifically for books on subtext because of some of the things I learned from the class. Out of the handful of available books on subtext - there are shockingly few of them - this is the book that called to me:

Writing Subtext, What Lies Beneath, by Linda Seger. http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Subtext-What-Lies-Beneath/dp/1932907963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318336464&sr=8-1

I picked it up because it had recommendations by both Syd Field, and Michael Hague...so yes, those blurby recommendations on books do work for something, I guess.  I'm a huge fan of both those guys - I've learned a lot from both, so based on their recommendation, I'm really looking forward to this book. The back cover says it will show you how to use subtext to strengthen your writing. Sounds good to me! I'll post what I think about it once I've had a chance to read through it cover to cover.

In the meantime, I better get on with my writing. I'd like to get in at least 2k before the day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^