Saturday, October 15, 2011

Shivers, Scripts, and Fishing

Timed Writings at the Midnight Moon Cafe in Awen.

Hubby took Mini fishing this morning. The boy came home from school a few days ago and that was all he could talk about - going fishing. I'm pretty sure some other kid was talking about the fun of fishing and Mini decided he had to do it too. Ah, well, let him experiment. He could end up a fantastic fisherman. Whatever comes of it, I'm sure the guys will have a good time.

I'm working on this Shivers story, and trying to wrap it up. (Please end already!) I'll probably print out a copy this evening so I can begin the markup. I have friends who work exclusively on their computers, but I find it easier to edit my work on hardcopy. Old school, right? <lol> I do have a feeling, though, this story is going to need another draft. It feels patchy at this point. I need to tie it all together better. Even so, it's still a fun little story. It would have been a good Halloween release, but there won't be time for that.

Anyway, there are still a few details to fine tune, and I'm not happy with the hero's name. I also need a name for the town the story takes place in. Also, the hero's back story is still too sketchy. I need to clarify everything with him. Yeah, there's a short list of things "to do" with this one. It's going well enough to be satisfied with it, though. On average, I've been getting in about 1k words on it a day. Usually a few minutes in the morning, then again at night. If it's anywhere near 15k I'll be happy with the length. That'll give me enough story to test the waters.

Speaking of writing, Cassandra and I were up until the wee hours of the morning doing timed writings. Not surprising, right? I'd actually gone in-world to see if the script writing guy had gotten back to me about our notice board at Witches Island. I'm trying to hire someone to write a custom script for me. I can get so far with the project, but then can't get it to do exactly what I want - a sign that it's time to call in an expert. Before it got to this point, me foolishly trying to do this crap myself, I bought a dialog/menu box for URLs from the SL Marketplace, and the script turned out to be no modify. WTF? So I can't take the numbers off the buttons in the drop down menu and replace it with text. I'm very disappointed about that. Anyway, this is for our book board, so I need to get this sucker working, but I can't seem to find anyone with the time to write a script for me. Maybe it's because of the time of year?

At any rate, the above picture is from a few days ago, but it's pretty representative of what's going on when Cass and I meet up to write. We use Skype sometimes, and I actually prefer it since it's less taxing on my comp, but lately Skype has been crapping out on us. I'm not sure what gives. So Second Life it is. There are far more distractions in SL than in Skype though, so it has its pitfalls, but it's still cheaper than a long distance phone call.

One more thing before I go... A few days ago I mentioned that I'd just started reading the book Writing Subtext by Linda Seger. I'm almost finished with it. I'll be posting more about the book very soon. Just mentioning that in case someone has been waiting for my thoughts on it, etc.

That's it for now. Time to get back to work! I hope you all have a happy weekend. :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.