Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkins Scream in the Dead of Night



Happy Halloween and a blessed Samhain, everyone! I have the Jack Skellington "This is Halloween!" song stuck in my head this morning. How fabulous (and appropriate) is that? ^_^

I'm going to be baking cookies and making S'mores with the kidlets this evening. I'm also taking both Mini Beast and Big Brat to my Mom and Dad's house for a final round of Trick or Treats. Mom always buys the best treats. She makes candy pails for both boys - even the 20 year old. <g> The pails have everything from popcorn to apples to candies in there. Great stuff! When the guys are on up in their 30s, 40s and such, they'll remember those Halloweens. Every year I think about my Ma'amaw Rose. She loved Halloween, and her favorite candies were the wrapped orange and black peanut butter chews. The taffy kind. I think she said at one time they were similar to a kind of penny candy popular during the war.

Anyway, it's been a few days since I last posted. Busy weekend and all that. Hubby and I had our post-anniversary, anniversary date on Saturday. We had lunch at Red Lobster, and debated watching a movie, but ended up skipping it since there wasn't really anything playing we both wanted to see. Instead, we went to Books a Million, bought an armload of books - a little something for everyone, us and the boys. Afterward, we ended up prowling the antique stores over at Antique Alley.

I bought a set of tiny airplanes for my dad. Very much his kind of thing. One is a silver airplane that used to come out of cereal boxes a long time ago. I remember there was more than one color of them - silver, metallic blue, and metallic red. Dad instantly recognized that plane for what it was. The other plane is a 40s? tin toy a little larger than the cereal box plane. It had Japan's color's on it, and pieces of it move. The tail of the plane, and the pilot, both move back and forth. Very neat little toy. Dad put them both on his collector's shelf.

The rest of the weekend we lounged about, read books, watched TV. I went to Cassandra Curtis's Haunted  Waverly Hills workshop Sunday night in Second Life, which was awesome as ever.

Now I'm back into the weekly swing of things. I have a story to work on this week, revisions to tinker with, and books to read. Just a few more pages to go, and I'll be finished with Manuscript Makeover. And I'm about 50 pages into Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury. I love Bradbury's stuff. He's one of my favorites, so I'm finding this one to be a bit easier to read than some of the other books. Inspiring stuff.

I'm trying not to give myself any more projects this late in the year. It's funny how fast the holidays come on us once the school year starts. This is how the year gets away from me, waiting until November to wrap up loose ends. By the time I'm able to lift my head again, Christmas will be over, New Year will be in sight, and I'll be relieved for it, because finally we'll be in the clear of the holidays. Whew!

There's still some time before that, though. I haven't had to listen to the kidlets snarling at each other for a week over Thanksgiving, or two weeks for Christmas yet. That's usually the defining point of "oh god, when will the hurting stop?" desire to emerge to the New Year. LOL Parents, I'm sure at least some of you'll probably understand where I'm coming from.

But for now, I'm loving Halloween. I've always loved Halloween. It's one of those less stressful holidays. Just candy, fun with the kids, and good stuff on TV. Like, John Carpenter's Halloween. You know I gotta watch that tonight, right? ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, hi! Comments are appreciated, and I will reciprocate as soon as I can. Friendly conversation is always welcome. Trolls will be set on fire and tossed into the bog of eternal stench. Have a happy day! ~.^