I'm awake, I'm awake...barely. I went to bed around 2 a.m. after finally hitting 43k on my wip. Cassie and I have been timed writing in the afternoons and at night, and that means we're often up well after midnight working. Good thing we're both insomniacs, I guess.<g>
I'm currently 6900 words from my minimum goal of 50k. So close, yet so far away. Current issues are this: a gaping plot hole [in the second half of] the middle to fix, and I'm debating whether to remove one character from the book entirely to simplify the story line.
The thing is, if I remove that character it will strip out a complete subplot, and at this point I'm not sure if I should do that. For now, I figure I better let it be and then look at how it works within the larger picture once I'm finished with the book.
Whatever I decide, I can see already, once I've reached that 50k, I'll be playing with index cards again to sort through this stuff. Anyway, after I write "the end", I'll post all my September Experiment stats and word counts into a single chart for perusal.
For those who stumble across this post who might not understand what's going on, the purpose of recording and charting all the boring info is to see if I can duplicate the process I carried out with Wicked Obsession... and hopefully I'll be able to do it again on all my subsequent books, not just this story I'm currently working on.
The September Experiment started as a test to see if I could write a usable book in a month. (As opposed to writing a full manuscript in a month that ends up socked away in a drawer never to see the light of day again.) As it turns out, this experiment has become a kind of writing system check up. Am I being efficient? Can the process be repeated? Sounds like using scientific method for testing my own writing, no? <lol> All I really want to do is nail down the art of writing a novel in a way that works for me.
Today and Sunday I'll be trying to make the final push to 50k. That's the goal. Roughly 3k a day, which is do-able, especially when written in fifteen minute bursts. That's something interesting I've discovered about myself during this experiment - short writing jaunts work best for me rather than, say, a two or three hour block of time put away for writing, and expecting myself to be hammering away at the keyboard for that whole time. My brain just doesn't function for the duration of a long haul writing jag.
Call it ADD or whatever, I can't focus for that long. I run out of steam when writing a scene, and my mind starts to wander. Not only that, with the fifteen minute sessions, I can stop afterward and walk around, take care of something the kids need, or haul the dog outside for a walk. Too, I now know I can make my daily 2k word goal in roughly three or four timed writing sessions. It's much more manageable for me this way.
That's it for today. Hopefully by the next time I come in to post, my rough draft will be completed. We'll see. Happy weekend, everyone!